Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #11

Re: Diesel in freezing temps?

No second pump as far as I know. The folks that I thought were installing it actually sent it to the Kenworth dealer for installation so getting answers has been tough. I'm thinking of going directly to the Kenworth dealer myself.

I'll be really interested to hear the results of your tests.

Jepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware

OK, I'll admit I'm a total noob when it comes to diesel engines. What do you mean by "pluggin the diesel in" for cold temps? Do you have to keep a diesel plugged into 110V AC power or something for it to start in cold winter months? Huh?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
OK, I'll admit I'm a total noob when it comes to diesel engines. What do you mean by "pluggin the diesel in" for cold temps? Do you have to keep a diesel plugged into 110V AC power or something for it to start in cold winter months? Huh?
Many diesel engines (some gas engines too) have an electric element heater that you plug a 110V extension cord into (other end into an outlet naturally) and it provides a small amount of heat to make it easier to start an engine when very cold.

Herb
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware

Thanks, Herb. I had no idea about that whole system, especially that some gassers have it, too.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #15

My F250 came down from Canada and has 3 plugs- one is the Diesel block heater, which we used all last winter due to a bad relay in the glow plug system. Not that cold, but it wouldn't start cold which meant either the relay or the glow plugs, and the relay was a 20 minute 1 banana fix so I'm glad it worked (and should have done it sooner).

The other two are battery blankets- one for each of the dual batteries used to start a diesel. I've never needed them, but at a certain level of cold I'm sure that keeping the batteries toasty is necessary in addition to the block heater.

As for gassers, we used to hang a 100w lightbulb in the engine compartment when it was going to be cold in Indiana. Not sure if it ever helped, but the idea is just to keep the engine from being -20°F in the morning.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh
Would appreciate comments about cold weather concerns with a diesel. What would be the temperature (Fahrenheit) below which it would be necessary to plug in the block heater even if you are using winter diesel fuel? I live in warm country but may be driving a diesel up north this winter. Thanks for info. Stosh
Hi,

Where i live ( Norway) its below freezing 6 months in the year, i always use a electric motor heater below 5 ¤C, its connected to a timer that starts it in the morning appr 1 hour before i go. I also have a webasto ( water) diesel heater, with remote control, and it uses appr 30 min to heat the whole car. It starts the blower motor when the water is hot, and heats the engine and cabin, its a must if you live in a cold place. The benefits is many.
markus is offline   Reply With Quote