Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #1

Diesel Inspection ?

Can I get some information about what is involved in, and what is a Ford diesel inspection?
Ive heard of these before but I have not found much information here about them.
Im looking at a 2005 6.0 with only 38000 miles on it. Im not sure its even worth doing because of its low milage but an inspection would be easy considering its location.
Thanks for your help.
TraceyAZ

Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #2

Re: Diesel Inspection ?

I believe you can have a Ford dealership (or any reputable mechanic) go over the rig and fill out a used vehicle checklist. In fact, I think SMB requires one in order to list a vehicle for sale on their website. I'm not sure if the engine being a diesel has anything to do with it but maybe there are some additional things to be checked over a gasser. Hope that helps!

edit to add: Have a gander at this if you haven't already found it. Lots of good tips. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6192

I bought mine used and with all the bells and whistles it's a lot to wrap your head around and have an educated idea on anything other than whether the 4wd works and the penthouse raises and lowers. That was my experience anyway.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Thank you Joe for the links.
The piece of info Im still looking for had to do with the diesel engine itself. I read somewhere about an inspection that included something about making sure the cylinders were in balance or even or something funny like that. I know gas engines they will check for compression but this sounded different from that sort of test and did not use the term compression test. It also may have only ben for high milage diesels.
Im very sorry for being so vague, but Ive been doing a lot of reading and maybe some of it has started to get spun in my head lol
Thanks again.
TraceyAZ
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Mine had 25k on it when it needed a new oil cooler, HPOP line and some kinda solenoid to make it run again. Been great for 13k+ since. Whomever checks it out, make sure they give it a good, long test drive to compare ECT and EOT. Might even be worth getting an Edge monitor to check it yourself and pull up basic fault codes.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Whomever checks it out, make sure they give it a good, long test drive to compare ECT and EOT.
Z
Thank you Zeta.
So it is my understanding that those two temps are supposed to be with in a few degrees of each other? What does it mean if they are not close in temp?
TraceyAZ
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Diesel Inspection ?

Less than 15F apart, or something like that, during normal cruising. If more, then clogged oil cooler which will soon take out the EGR cooler which will then lead to headgasket problems which which will lead to a 5 ton paperweight.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Zeta!
I will make sure its checked.
TraceyAZ
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #8

Tracy, I've been doing a ton of research on this and from what I can tell with the vans is that if there are EGR and Oil cooler problems they are going to surface right away. Otherwise, with regular fluid changes and coolant maintenance it's a non-issue. The 6.0 vans were tuned for less HP and torque than the trucks. And it's the trucks or vans that have been heavily modded and/or pull heavy trailers that have issues the majority of the time.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Tracy, I've been doing a ton of research on this and from what I can tell with the vans is that if there are EGR and Oil cooler problems they are going to surface right away. Otherwise, with regular fluid changes and coolant maintenance it's a non-issue. The 6.0 vans were tuned for less HP and torque than the trucks. And it's the trucks or vans that have been heavily modded and/or pull heavy trailers that have issues the majority of the time.
I would disagree with that statement. Admitedly, I was the second owner of my SMB (bought at 26,000 miles), but the previous owners appeared to take excellent care of it, just like I did after purchasing it. Regular Amsoil oil changes at 7500 mile intervals, and twice I even sampled the oil and had it tested at Blackstone Labs (results were just fine). I kept up on all oil filter changes. Had the coolant system flushed and refilled with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant.

At roughly 45,000 miles, my EOT and ECT would diverge too much for my comfort zone, so I had the Ford oil cooler checked out and it was starting to clog/fail. Had it replaced, and had the EGR cooler replaced at the same time.

Now I'm just a single data point, but there are a number of other members here who have had their oil coolers/EGRs replaced, and I believe they were diligent on preventative maintenance as well.

Herb
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I would disagree with that statement. Admitedly, I was the second owner of my SMB (bought at 26,000 miles), but the previous owners appeared to take excellent care of it, just like I did after purchasing it. Regular Amsoil oil changes at 7500 mile intervals, and twice I even sampled the oil and had it tested at Blackstone Labs (results were just fine). I kept up on all oil filter changes. Had the coolant system flushed and refilled with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant.

At roughly 45,000 miles, my EOT and ECT would diverge too much for my comfort zone, so I had the Ford oil cooler checked out and it was starting to clog/fail. Had it replaced, and had the EGR cooler replaced at the same time.

Now I'm just a single data point, but there are a number of other members here who have had their oil coolers/EGRs replaced, and I believe they were diligent on preventative maintenance as well.

Herb
No worries, I guess to put it more simply you either get a bad one or a good one. A bad one makes it less than 50,000 miles, irregardless of fluid maintenance. If you haven't had issues by then, well it's highly likely you're going to make it to 100,000 or more. From what I can tell having read just about every thread with EGR in the search box, not that many forum members have reported having failed oil coolers with less than 100,000 miles (n=3 or 4?). This is of course my opinion only, but besides reading diesel forums my local diesel shop has also dealt with 1000's of 6.0 psd vehicles.

Either way, installing a coolant filter (which I'm about to do) is a good idea and when the time comes get the BPD oil cooler or do a delete. Install the newer, slightly improved FORD oil cooler (like you did) and be done with it. That's 8 hours labor and less than $800 parts. It could be a peace of mind thing knowing it won't fail while you're on a trip or just carefully monitor EOT and ECT and when the time comes get er done.