Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #1

Diesel or Gas engine

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, been pining after a Sportsmobile for years , probably get one this year. Some people say the diesel is to loud. I would prefer a diesel but I would like to know what everyone thinks.
Thanks

caddis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #2

And HOT. Phew! The doghouse and outside fenders- I'm always making the mistake of touching next to the antenna after driving. And forget about using "vent" unless it's 30º below!

I love the sound and smell of diesel, but I'd totally consider a V10 in an SMB having owned the diesel version. Still, it doesn't even rank as a complaint in my book and I'm after longevity as much as anything, so.. uh, none of this is helping you decide, is it?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #3

One more thing- people are always coming up an saying, "That a diesel?" whether it's running or not. I can imagine I would get wholly annoyed if it wasn't and I had to explain instead of just going, "Ahhhh, yup."
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #4

I got the diesel in my '07 and love it. Lots of folks have complained about the dog house and surrounding area getting hot. Not in my rig. Maybe SMB added something, but I didn't request or pay for extra insullation. There is a layer of Dynamat under the fiberglas insullation. Stock?? My drink holders don't get warm either. Vents blow air that's a little warmer then outside. I need to look into that.

Noise - you bet. Nasty when cold but fine after it warms up.

Love the engine and would do it all over again.

10,000 miles in five months and haven't done anything but add fuel.

It's a personel thing. Just go with your heart....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #5

Re: Diesel or Gas engine

caddis;
Diesel, for longevity, towing ability, economy, etc.
I got Diesel in my SMB for all these reasons.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #6

Garage
I went w/ the v10 for a few reasons. ..

Longevity is pretty darn good, a ton of V10 vans out there w/ 200+k on it that are used hard in cmmercial applications w/ minimal routine service. whenever they will need overhaul etc... still cheaper than working on a diesel

Cost is cheaper up front and currently fuel is about .35 cheaper than diesel but it does fluctuate throughout the yr. It would take a bit to recoup the upcharge of diesel but i also will probably replace/upgrade in 5-6 yrs anyway...

Towing between the diesel and V10 is damn close

Mileage is the one area I would love to have a diesel but currently w/ my V10 4x4 I'm getting 13-14 on the highway if i keep speed around 65-70, city is 12. I do have a few mods such as a 3" Flowmaster exhaust system and a Superchip tuner. the diesels seem to be all over the place mileage wise, some get great mileage and others are the same as my V10

All in all i'm very happy w/ my choice of V10, you really can't go wrong. If buying new it sounds like the diesels have gone up even more!!

D
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #7

Another thing to consider is if you want to add the expensive diesel water and air heaters. I have them, and love them. They seem very efficient with the diesel usage, and they make plenty of heat.

I just didn't want to mess with propane onboard, but it would have made it easier to take a bbq camping. Now I just use a pit-to-go and lump coal. I'm never in a hurry in my SMB anyway...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #8

Diesel all the way for me. It was an easy decision based on torque, and mileage. I'm also hoping for more biodiesel options in the future.

I do agree with Jage on the heat though. Vent blows hot and you can even feel the heat coming in the windows when stopped. No problem with the dog house for me though. Had it off the other day and it looked well insulated.

One more thing to consider. I just read that you do not want to take a 2008 diesel to Mexico. They do not have ULSD and it is said to ruin that new diesel engine.

Good luck.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #9

Gas vs Diesel

Thanks everyone. I't looks like diesel for me I kinda had my heart set on it anyway. Bio-diesel is a big plus. Wanted to hear experienced folks opinions.
caddis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #10

I am in same shoe, sort of set on the diesel,
and with the 2008 6.0 deisel engine still in production, don't know whether it still needs thats ulsd fuel...
i haven't picked up phone to ask smb or Ford as i am not yet ready to order my smb