Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Diesel warm up time / temp?

Quote:
If I idle (not in traffic), I use the high-idle switch. Supposedly that will keep the EGR system slightly cleaner...? (so says the internet)
Don't baby the engine, run it hard (3-4,000 RPMS) every once in a while to blow out the soot that accumulates on the EGR valve, turbo vanes and other components. IMHO...

Good thread on sticking turbos

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9467&hilit=turbo

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio

Don't baby the engine, run it hard (3-4,000 RPMS) every once in a while to blow out the soot that accumulates on the EGR valve, turbo vanes and other components. IMHO...
Oh yeah, I've definitely read and buy into that practice. I make it a point to let 'er rip at least once every time I drive. Just not until it's warm
On my new-mod / maintenance test-drive route there's a pretty long hill where I can put my foot on the floor for about a minute straight.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Food for thought but a thinner oil improves cold start time and flow through the hi-pressure oil system and injectors. I've been running Rotella T6 5w40 syn with 16oz AR9100 the last few oil changes.

In colder temps the stock Motorola 10w30 is quite a bit thicker than the 5w40. That might be a reason have to wait a bit longer to see higher oil temps? That is, if you are getting your oil changed at the dealer.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #14

More load (more throttle) will warm the engine faster. Maybe that is why it takes so long to get my engine up to temp.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #15

Geez, for once, it's nice to hear some GOOD posts about our 6.0's...

Tom
Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I drove my 6.0 just like a gas motor - I'm too impatient to do otherwise. I don't even waste time putting on my seat belt until I'm moving...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
We aren't supposed to idle our 6.0's for extended periods anyway, are we? Tom
I believe my 08's manual says that the engine should idle for 7-10 minutes after an extended highway run so the turbo can cool down.

I don't usually idle that long. I try to let it idle until the ECT stops dropping, then shut it off.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

In cold weather I use the Espar to warm the engine or idle for at least 3-5 minutes. If you use Cetane booster in the fuel, it helps. I watch my EGT's and shut down after reaching 5-600 degrees.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #19

Garage

mine wont go much more than idle speed when its under a 100 degrees. no boost, nothing. once its to a 100 degrees it will boost, but nothing like it does once it reaches 180. not that i drive it like that, just observations. it aint no hot rod...

wintertime it gets plugged in. i doubt this cold blooded pig would even start below 10 degrees. i was told that engine heaters suck juice, so i got a timer and generally have it set to come on 2 hours before i needed it. seems to do the trick. 2 hours gets it at about 70 degrees when its under 15 degrees. last year we had a month long inverted cold spell where it was reaching as low as 15-20 below zero at night. i had to give it an extra hour or so on the timer.

i try not to commute with the van cause its only a 2 mile drive and the thermostat wont even open between home and work. that just seems like it cant be good for the vehicle, so i try to avoid it as much as possible, but if its crap out, the garage queen stays inside and the van turns into double duty mobile.

sitting at idle doesnt warm it up at all when its cold out. i generally just drive lightly to bring it up to temperature. usually by the time im leaving the hood its warm enough to not cut boost. ive got a high idle control, but at 5:30am in the dead of winter, its sofa king loud i cant subject my neighbors to it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #20

I usually stay off the throttle for the first couple of miles after a cold start. From home, this is down a steep hill, and then flat, low speed for a couple of miles. I try to keep it under 1,700 RPMs until it's warm. If it's cold out (i.e. below 35F or so), then it gets a minute of warm up before going down the hill, or it gets the block heater first. Even if it's not cold, it usually gets 15-30 seconds of warm-up.

When I get back from a long trip, I drop from 55-60 mph highway to 40-45 mph on the back roads, and then idle down as I approach the last hill to the house. Once I climb the hill and park, I let the engine idle until I get an EGT of 400F or less. If I've been working the engine hard, I let it idle longer.

The PO was PO'd (or at least a little miffed) when I shut the engine straight off after the test drive. I then got a quick lesson about diesels, and it has served me well ever since.

Cheers Zeta!