Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
My 2005 6.0 is OD lockout. Transmission and handle call out.
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree but OEM from Ford is:

-The 7.3/4r100 combo simply locks out OD when you press the switch.
-The 6.0/5r110 combo changes shift points drastically but still uses OD.

The fact that the lever says OD off means nothing. The only way to change that is with a custom tune. Just my two cents.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #32

The TorqueShift on the diesel does lockout overdrive. It's the v10 that doesn't.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The TorqueShift on the diesel does lockout overdrive. It's the v10 that doesn't.
Odd, I guess I had it backwards. Pretty sure that the I had the tuner that revised my PCM and transmission programming add an OD off function to the other effects of tow-haul.

Why just the diesel vans and not the F series or vans with the V10? At any rate if one ends up replacing their shift lever the replacement says tow-haul not OD off.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ View Post
So a question that is related to the overdrive lock out. The 6.0 in mine seems to have a similar issue with shifting and town driving. When driving in town with stop and go traffic I seem to notice a sort of loading up, when I finally get to an on ramp to come up to speed. I get a decent roll of coal coming out, and I notice scan gage says my egt temps will come up quickly. It doesn't happen all the time and when it does it's when it's a lot of stop and go. However if driving through the same conditions with my OD off those conditions don't happen at all. Been doing this for many years. I think it's normal? I'll be the first to admit I'm still learning all about diesels. Any thought on this??
Thank you.
Quote:
^This actually sounds like sticking turbo vanes, and the OD is only incidental in that it causes lower RPMs. If turning off OD is working for now, you might be able to get by like this for a while (or indefinitely) but you are probably losing some responsiveness and possibly power.

Was trying to figure out how to start a different thread for this, sorry for any hijacking from the OP.
Well carringb was spot on. Just got the call from the shop and yes the turbo vains are sticking/stuck again. Is this a normal occurrence to happen ever 15-20 thousand miles? Is there an upgrade turbo available? Should I just learn to remove and clean it myself as routine maintenance? What is with these 6.0 diesels? LOL seriously though, any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you carringb! And advance thanks to anyone else!
TraceyAZ
Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Well carringb was spot on. Just got the call from the shop and yes the turbo vains are sticking/stuck again. Is this a normal occurrence to happen ever 15-20 thousand miles? Is there an upgrade turbo available? Should I just learn to remove and clean it myself as routine maintenance? What is with these 6.0 diesels? LOL seriously though, any advice would be appreciated.
TraceyAZ
I guarantee if you drive your 6.0 like ndubes dose at 240* towing a trailer uphill into Flagstaff your turbo won't have a chance to stick.

Seriously though, 6.0 turbo vains can plug up and stick but it's not normal. There is an underlying reason if it's happening frequently.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I guarantee if you drive your 6.0 like ndubes dose at 240* towing a trailer uphill into Flagstaff your turbo won't have a chance to stick.

Seriously though, 6.0 turbo vains can plug up and stick but it's not normal. There is an underlying reason if it's happening frequently.

- Eric
Oh I get after it on the skinny pedal without a doubt, no it doesn't get driven everyday but when it does Im normally in the left lane. Im thinking maybe the last mechanic who did the bulletproofing simply installed the updated unison ring and that was it.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Was trying to figure out how to start a different thread for this, sorry for any hijacking from the OP.
TraceyAZ

I worked long time for the marine buisnes and we had quite often this problems with VGT Turbines. We found out that long idle time and as well bad quality diesel causes the problem! In Europe we dont have a lot of this sticking turbos. In the states it happend often. Hi sulfur diesel causes carbon on the wings.

Maybe if you always use the same fuel station than better change it will help?
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer View Post
I worked long time for the marine buisnes and we had quite often this problems with VGT Turbines. We found out that long idle time and as well bad quality diesel causes the problem! In Europe we dont have a lot of this sticking turbos. In the states it happend often. Hi sulfur diesel causes carbon on the wings.

Maybe if you always use the same fuel station than better change it will help?
That did cross my mind, when local I do use the same discount type fuel place (maverick) all the time for fuel fill ups. Im going to be doing a little research into that as well. I've been told Chevron had the best diesel? Not sure if this is true but absolutely worth looking into.
As for long idle times, normally for me just enough time to let everything warm just a bit and let the fluids start to warm. But I do get some slow town travel most every time I'm out with it. There is some sort of formula about hours running vs mph that is supposed to give you some sort of formula about how the engine is being ran. If the numbers don't jive then its as if your idle time goes up even though you are technically driving because of slow stop and go traffic.
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #39

Before jumping to conclusions about fuel, you gotta at least see what causing it to stick. It can be from carbon buildup or rust. Light rust on a rig with lots of in town driving is a result of the drive cycle. But if it happens on a rig that gets full drive cycles, it could be an early indicator of the EGR cooler leaking.

Carbon buildup can be caused by poor fuel, however it's much more likely to be caused by excess EGR. Having modern firmware uploaded can help this, but ultimately some driving cycles (sustained high EGTs) really might benefit the most from an EGR delete or at least disabling it with a tuner. Uneven cylinder contribution from a sticky injector can cause it too. Also, stock turbos are sensitive to sticking because the slots are a little tight. A turbo rebuilder will slightly clearance those slots to they aren't as tight.

Anyways.... sorry there isn't an simply answer to turbos sticking. In some ways, it's just the nature of the beast, being that its far from a simple motor.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Before jumping to conclusions about fuel, you gotta at least see what causing it to stick. It can be from carbon buildup or rust. Light rust on a rig with lots of in town driving is a result of the drive cycle. But if it happens on a rig that gets full drive cycles, it could be an early indicator of the EGR cooler leaking.

Carbon buildup can be caused by poor fuel, however it's much more likely to be caused by excess EGR. Having modern firmware uploaded can help this, but ultimately some driving cycles (sustained high EGTs) really might benefit the most from an EGR delete or at least disabling it with a tuner. Uneven cylinder contribution from a sticky injector can cause it too. Also, stock turbos are sensitive to sticking because the slots are a little tight. A turbo rebuilder will slightly clearance those slots to they aren't as tight.

Anyways.... sorry there isn't an simply answer to turbos sticking. In some ways, it's just the nature of the beast, being that its far from a simple motor.

I should know today on some of those questions. I do have the EGR delete already. I asked for some photos and I plan on talking with the mechanic himself about the actual condition of the turbo. I will say that it does get short drive times as I was told that it was ok to do so after all the "bullet proofing" work that was done to it a couple of years ago. I guess I was lied to again by the jackass business owner who ran the shop. Should have bypassed him and talked more with the mechanic. (the van is not at the same shop) I will report back when I can about this.
Thank you.