Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Re: Disconcerting drivetrain noise on a 96 E350 (Quigley 4x4

Could that be grease from the U-joint?

Pull the driveshaft and check the u-joints. Probably have to pull it anyway to work on the tank bracket.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Could that be grease from the U-joint?

Pull the driveshaft and check the u-joints. Probably have to pull it anyway to work on the tank bracket.

Mike
I'm learning as I go, so bear with me It doesn't seem like grease - it's quite fresh and not terribly viscous. Has a consistency more like the ATF that would be in the transfer case. Next game is to check the fluid level in the transfer case.

Cheers,
Josh
pbjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Here's an update, getting the tank down, there was another crack in another hanger. Working with a local 4x4 shop here in Quito, we are going to re-engineer the tank hanging system quite a bit to avoid a repeat break in the same way, hanging it with much heavier duty straps that wrap the tank. The tank was made by Aerotank, but the 40 gallon tank's weight when full and bumping down dirt roads is too much stress on the hanger brackets, looking at how one failed and the other is starting to fail.

The good news is that it's not ATF fluid from the transfer case and the seal looks fine. That spray is actually diesel, it looks like a bit was getting out of a small leak where the hanger broke and splashing on the u-joint which was delivering it in a fine arc.

Ah the joys...
Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #14

So, what about the noise that started you looking under the van?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

I'd lean towards U-joints as well. That noise could be run-out, which can happen when a u-joint binds under high-torque (1st gear = max torque multiplication). That can also happen with sloppy bearings in the axle too, but U-joints are much more likely, and are a periodic service item anyways.

Glad you go the hangers fixed! I've lost a water tank while driving on an old travel trailer. Fuel tank would be way worse!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Glad you go the hangers fixed! I've lost a water tank while driving on an old travel trailer. Fuel tank would be way worse!
Yes, but it wouldn't be too far down the road behind you .

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

Your Aerotank used the factory hangers? My 45 gal. Aerotank (about a year old) is way too big and totally mis shaped for the factory hangers. I installed it myself and it has 5 bolts on flanges underneath. Did they do the install?

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

My Aerotank is as Eric mentioned, bolted via flanges directly to the frame. Course that doesn't help you now and you're likely just having to make due, although I would think there are some decent options in Quito for repair work. Its been many years since I was there but what an amazing place. If you get a chance to stop into the town of Banos and check out the volcano Cotopaxi its worth doing. Assuming of course it isn't about to blow...
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Your Aerotank used the factory hangers? My 45 gal. Aerotank (about a year old) is way too big and totally mis shaped for the factory hangers. I installed it myself and it has 5 bolts on flanges underneath. Did they do the install?

Thanks

My Aerotank tanks do not use the factory hangers. They use welded on brackets to mount. They did the install. I don't want to knock Aerotank overly, but in the ~9 months we have had the tanks we have had a handful of problems already - the sending unit they put in our spare tank is malfunctioning, and it is increasingly apparent that their style of welded on hangars is inadequate/inappropriate for the weight of the tanks. I have to think that auto manufacturers know what they are doing when they hang tanks with straps instead of welded on brackets, the brackets can't take the shearing and leverage on them from all the vibration. Maybe if it was an on-road vehicle, but not on dirt roads. As well, it is questionable if / how well the tanks are baffled, as they were supposed to be. You do hear a good bit of sloshing and the guys in Quito made the off handed comment, after they had put the tank back up, that they didn't think there were any baffles in it
Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #20

As far as drivetrain noise, the investigation continues. It is still infrequent and always a top of first gear, max torque situation noise. The U-joints seem fine, and the 4x4 mechanic who did the fuel tank repairs seemed to think they were in top shape as well. Having had the noise occur a few more times it increasingly sounds like it's coming from the transfer case or the front of the rear driveshaft. It also may not have an associated loss of power as we first thought. We are kind of "seeing what happens" though we are planning on leaving it with another reputable local shop soon, as we are going to be in the Galapagos, and see if they can figure it out while we are gone for a week. I wonder how hard it is to get a BW 1356 rebuild kit down here if that is what we need...

Sorry for the lag in updating this thread, with the van mostly fixed again and certainly roadworthy, we have been adventuring rather than languishing in mechanic's yards in Quito...

Cheers,
Josh