Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, 336 is pretty high, in fact don’t most of diff fluids out there pretty much break down at those temps. I’m a bit skeptical that you’d see it go to that under real world driving conditions......I always cringe when my rig is strapped up to the rollers at those diesel emissions testing facilities and they stomp on it because it just doesn’t seem natural and something’s gonna blow apart.
That being said, Banks has to have something up his sleeve on this “test”, after all, this is what they do, make aftermarket products for the consumer market. Creating an in house testing scenario to support selling a product is nothing new, neither is putting out a video or statement to create hype and then leave us hanging, sounds familiar. You’ll have to wait and see, tune in next time....the ol bait and switch. Maybe we’ll learn something new, maybe not.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
...That being said, Banks has to have something up his sleeve on this “test”, after all, this is what they do, make aftermarket products for the consumer market. Creating an in house testing scenario to support selling a product is nothing new, neither is putting out a video or statement to create hype and then leave us hanging, sounds familiar. You’ll have to wait and see, tune in next time....the ol bait and switch. Maybe we’ll learn something new, maybe not.
Had those same thoughts. Doesn't invalidate the testing by any means, but I think the outcome is fairly certain.

Herb
Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I don't tow anything so differential temps aren't a huge concern but add me to the list of those interested in the final results of these tests.

Gale does bring up some interesting points about power losses etc.

Also looking forward to a new product release too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #14

After having my rear diff rebuilt, I checked the operating temps a few times with my infared gun, and I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was surprisingly hot. I kinda chalked it up to the break in period and haven't checked since, but now I'm wondering. I also wonder how big a concern it is though, as for decades, cars and trucks have run down the highway with no thought what so ever to the diff, and they last hundreds of thousands of miles and often times without so much as an oil change. That may not be true for heavy duty use though.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #15

I did some research on gear oils, and found the following link to be very interesting. The conclusion is quoted below. The last two pages of the report may be the most interesting though.

https://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp...comparison.pdf

"Conclusion"
As the testing indicates, AMSOIL Severe Gear ranked highest among all gear lubes tested. It was the only gear lube to score a 4 or better in all performance categories.The high ranking of AMSOIL Severe Gear clearly points to a well-balanced
formulation capable of delivering effective, long-lasting lubrication protection to all differential components. Most notable is the superior performance of AMSOIL Severe Gear in the critical areas of extreme-pressure protection and viscosity and
oxidation stability. Based on the performance testing, the slightly higher than average price of AMSOIL Severe Gear would be offset by the cost savings achieved through reduced maintenance, longer lasting differentials and extended lubricant life.
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I also wonder how big a concern it is though, as for decades, cars and trucks have run down the highway with no thought what so ever to the diff, and they last hundreds of thousands of miles without so much as an oil change. That may not be true for heavy duty use though.
For starters, cars didn't use to make hundreds of horsepower. HP = heat. I remember the E250 I rode around in as a kid was only rated for something like 150 horsepower. Which is far less than my Focus makes, and well within what you can make with an EcoBoost 1.0l using just a tune.

Also, cars didn't used to last hundreds of thousands of miles. 100,000 miles used to be a milestone. Now it just means you're due for your first tune-up.

Also, axle service intervals used to be far more frequent, and that service often included wheel bearings as a PM
Old 08-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
For starters, cars didn't use to make hundreds of horsepower. HP = heat.
That's true for sure. Check out the last two pages of the test results, talk about high loading and severe duty! No way older vehicles could come close to those conditions.
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #18

I have Mag-hytec covers on both axles and the transmission. I will be curious to see results also!
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #19

I also use the ARB covers for the strength of the high tensile nodular iron (rock proof, cross brace design increases the structural rigidity of the whole axle) and , the dipstick with magnet (keeping your level correct for your pinon angle), the drain plug with magnet, approach or departure angle maximized angled exterior surfaces (also anti-sway bar clearance). In all of my 4x4 vans since the 1970's I have never fussed over diff. temp. and cooling. It will be great to see Gale Banks do a real test on video for us to see!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #20

I don't know what my temps were before, other than hot enough to char the oil and turn the gears blue, I can say that even with my Mag-Hytek diff cover, when I'm pulling 15,000 pounds over the Cascades on a 90F day (in the mountains, 100F+ on either side), I will max out my diff gauge at 250F. Since it only hits this mark near the top, I keep on going. But when it maxed out halfway out of Death Valley, I let it cool down a while before getting going again.