Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

CarringB, yes to full float rear axle, and I am hoping for what you have described as an inspection but not sure if that is what I am getting.(I wasn't sure how to explain in detail what I wanted because I find that when I describe what you just described to most mechanics they look at me like "why would you want to do all that for this old car you have brought in, just drive it till it dies" when I dropped it off he did say that he would need it for a few days so I am hoping he is taking his time and doing a thorough job, but we will see when I get the van back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

I paid $180 for a full inspection. 1.5 hours labor. They found more stuff than I would have imagined. Worth the extra money for a thorough job.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #13

So I got the van back on Wednesday. Overall I am happy with the labor rate(roughly $120/hr) and cost of parts, no complaints there. It looks as if they did everything that I had asked for (and threw in a free tire rotation), and the price ended up being $1000 not $1400, so I am also extremely happy about that.

The only down side was the pre-purchase inspection, and I think I can take some of the blame here, but not all. They only charged $90 for the inspection so I don't think I can expect an inspection anywhere near the level described by carringb.(and I think my mistake was asking for a pre purchase style inpsection I think I should have clarified what I was looking for better) If they are charging roughly $120/hr for labor and only charged $90 for a pre purchase inspection, I can only assume it was mostly a visual inspection which seems a little worthless on a van since everything is pretty well tucked away. Especially considering that this is what my air filters look like and they didn't mention it needing to be changed at all:

I don't think the picture does justice to the dirt that is on the filter. I would think that anyone that lifted the airbox cover would have flagged it on an inspection report, but that was not the case. This makes me concerned that the inspection wasn't really worth much.

Overall I am happy and will take the van back for jobs that are bigger than I want to tackle.

Here is a copy of the work completed, like I said final bill came to $1000.

Shop was Antero Automotive & Truck Services in Greenwood Village CO.
Ben10281 is offline   Reply With Quote