Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Garage
Domestic Diesel Chino Ca.

I've been searching and calling numerous diesel repair shops for my next step, Bulletproofing my 6.0. Domestic diesel was recommended, they are located in Chino, Ca. I talked to the owner, John who seemed very excited to do the work. All the reviews I have found are extremely positive. He said he is familiar with Sportsmobiles. Anyone here use him?

ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Team

No. My diesel work I've had done in CA has been Ultimate Truck Performance (was Camarillo, now Oxnard), Tarango's Diesel (Santa Paula), and Ken Imler (Sacramento). I had great experiences with each.

Herb
Old 11-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

No experience with Domestic Diesels, but I had my 6.0 bullet proofed by Bud's Diesel in Orange County. Not sure how they compare price wise, but they were good to deal with.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, I,was quoted 10k for a complete bulletproof motor minus the remote oil cooler. They would pull the motor. The SMB has 56k miles. Planning on visiting every state park in the lower 48 once I retire.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

ghetto fireman - i'm looking into doing the same over the next month or so. Can you list what they include for the $10K?

Thanks.
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Fork-N-Road -
Bud's Diesel is down in my area and had another member refer them to me. Can you share what the rough cost was and what they took care of in the bulletproofing?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botchan View Post
Fork-N-Road -
Bud's Diesel is down in my area and had another member refer them to me. Can you share what the rough cost was and what they took care of in the bulletproofing?

Thanks.
I was a little (LITTLE!) under $10k out the door at Buds. Nick was great to deal with. They pulled my body off the frame to do the work. I got ARP studs, rebuilt heads, external coolant filter, upgraded EGR cooler, new oil cooler, and tons of misc odds and ends. Basically looks like $7k worth of parts and $3k in labor. There were some odds and ends included in the price that were outside of "bullet proofing". I think the only thing I didn't do was the external oil cooler. If you PM me your email address, I can send you a scan of the invoice if you like.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
I was a little (LITTLE!) under $10k out the door at Buds. Nick was great to deal with. They pulled my body off the frame to do the work. I got ARP studs, rebuilt heads, external coolant filter, upgraded EGR cooler, new oil cooler, and tons of misc odds and ends. Basically looks like $7k worth of parts and $3k in labor. There were some odds and ends included in the price that were outside of "bullet proofing". I think the only thing I didn't do was the external oil cooler. If you PM me your email address, I can send you a scan of the invoice if you like.

I was told the motor needs to come out of the front? Can't lift the body off my EB350 SMB. The quote I received from Domestic Diesel was similar. Buds is a lot closer to me.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #9

Fork-N-Road - Just sent you a DM (I think it went through??) Let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botchan View Post
Fork-N-Road - Just sent you a DM (I think it went through??) Let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks.

I did get it, thank you. I’ve talked to Nick going to take it in for a look see.

Happy Holidays

Mike