Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
DP-Tuner

I got DP'd....tuned that is....

I've got an '03 7.3L Diesel with a 4" exhaust, no other engine mods. They have tunes for both the 7.3 and 6.0, as well as for gassers. One of the main reasons I went with DP is that they have specific tunes for the the vans and a lot more tune options than any of the others. I also looked at tony wildman, TDP(total diesel performance) and 5 star.

I went with the F6 chip and had several tunes loaded up, the nice thing about the F6 chip vs. the F5 is that it comes with a usb connection port and add or change/tweak the tunes you have without removing and sending the chip back in for reprograming, they will email you the new tunes which can then be downloaded by you.

Justin at DP was very helpful and knowledgable and responded quickly to any questions I had as well as recommending tunes. All I can say is, this sled has some power now, never knew it could pull like this, pretty sweet. I was at first hesitant to go with the 80 daily, but was reassured that was what most run and it wasn't too extreme. If I jump on it, it goes, along with that tell tail sign of a chipped diesel rig cloud of black smoke! but is very tame and needs very little throttle input compared to stock to roll away from a stop without leaving those behind you in a cloud. Also was at first wondering if their was a difference between the mountain and tow tunes as they both in essence, raise or hold the RPM's higher, I have not tested out the tow tune, but was again told that their was a difference in what the tunes did. I did test out the mountain tune, it was nice, and held gears and RPM's right in the sweet spot on the turns without the usual hunting for gears, too low of a gear or using the tow/haul button. Living in Colorado and traveling the mountain roads and highways it made sense for me to get one of the mountain tunes along with the decel tune for helping slow things down when towing or on a downgrade, it uses the EBPV to help slow things down. Everything is switch on the fly through one of their switches that I mounted up beside the wheel. So far, one of my favorite mods and will help make all those miles go by a little faster!

My Tunes:

0.no start
1.stock
2.80hp daily
3.60hp mountain
4.60hp tow
5.decel
6.high idle 1200

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Re: DP-Tuner

Thanks for the review! DP is my tuner of choice for the 7.3 van as well. I haven't purchased yet, but have heard good things.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the decel tune? I know how it works with the EBP valve, but my curiosity lies within the trans tuning.
When you switch to the decel tune, does it lock the converter as well? Also, say you use your service brakes as well, does it keep the converter locked?
Stock tune seems to unlock the converter anytime you touch the brakes.

If your speed reduces enough, will it down shift to 2nd gear and lock the converter as well?

Thanks
Tim
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

All good questions, I don't have the answers to. I have not had the chance to try out the tow or decel tune yet and I did not get that technical with my Q's to him, so I do not know what is written into the tunes as far as management goes, all questions for Justin at DP for sure. I did tell him about the forum, so you may see him on here at some point. He is active on many other forums, powerstroke, powerstrokenation, forddieselpower, thedieselstop....I may shoot him another email with some of those Q's and post his responses back here, and maybe another poke to get him to check us out :b2:
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Well you made me do it.

I ordered the infinity after looking at the one you have but wanted the alarms for the wife to be warned. The only thing I wish it would do is change on the fly.

I also like that it will run with key off to a set temp ( this is will not do you need the one that goes on the carputer)

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Is use DP as well.

0.no start
1.stock
2.60hp tow
3.60hp Economy

the main reason was that the original shifting was to bad so the highest gear with lock up were applied at the speed of about 82 km/h

Now it is great !
Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to susswein

Have any of you seen MPG improvements with your dp-tuner?
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Hey guys,

Just came across this forum and thread in a Google search. I know I am reviving an old thread, but figured I would jump in to show you that I am around here now.

If any of you guys ever have any questions at all about our products, feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you out.
JustinDPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Justin is great to work with. I'm back using my superchips tune and working on getting some logs back to him to why in 4 low it just wont shift out of first and it is shifting at strange spots under different loads. I hate to say it but kinda happy right now. I should see if I can pull a copy of the superchip tune and send it to Justin after all they do not honor it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDPTuner
Hey guys,

Just came across this forum and thread in a Google search. I know I am reviving an old thread, but figured I would jump in to show you that I am around here now.

If any of you guys ever have any questions at all about our products, feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you out.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

Justin
The first post said you have tunes for gassers. I didn't see any on your web site. I have a tune in my 6.0 gas chevy and it made a world of difference. I am building a 5.4 ford and would like to get a tune for it. Do you have them or have any recommendations?
Thanks
Jim
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
Justin is great to work with. I'm back using my superchips tune and working on getting some logs back to him to why in 4 low it just wont shift out of first and it is shifting at strange spots under different loads. I hate to say it but kinda happy right now. I should see if I can pull a copy of the superchip tune and send it to Justin after all they do not honor it anymore.
Thanks for the compliment. You may want to get in touch with Jody (jody@dp-tuner.com) if you are having an issue with your tunes. He will work with you to correct the issue.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to put a Superchips tune on our chips or programmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
Justin
The first post said you have tunes for gassers. I didn't see any on your web site. I have a tune in my 6.0 gas chevy and it made a world of difference. I am building a 5.4 ford and would like to get a tune for it. Do you have them or have any recommendations?
Thanks
Jim
Jim,

What year is the 5.4? Our chips will work on them up to 2004, but we do not actually do the tuning for them. We do have a guy that we work with with it comes to 5.4L tuning though. Contact me privately, and I will get you some info.
JustinDPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote