Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

DUAL EXHAUSTS

Hi:

Toying around with the idea of putting dual exhausts on my E-250. NOT dual headers but rather some kind of fab'd pipe....mostly for looks. Anyone ever do this? Does it give you any increased gas mileage.

Also, thniking of replacing the plastic moulding on the step on my side bard doors with diamond plate? Any suggestions or comments on this idea?

Thanks,

JJtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Re: DUAL EXHAUSTS

You can definitely improve on your stock exhaust system. In order to improve performance and maybe fuel economy it's going to co$t you some money. I probably wouldn't go through the expense "just for looks".

Depending on individual state laws you may run into an issue replacing the stock catalytic converter with a less restrictive one. Some states only allow you to make a change when your stock unit fails. The stock exhaust on my 5.8L was generating heat that was noticeable by feeling the floor above the exhaust system. I replaced my exhaust with a 3" system that has a less restrictive cat and some kind of school bus muffler that is close to free flow but runs quiet. The new exhaust with a less restrictive cat, muffler and less severe bends in the system doesn't transfer as much heat inside the van. I didn't go with a dual system but I like the beefy sound and the look of a single larger than stock pipe coming out behind the right tire.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

You won't gain fuel economy. Computer already optimized the fuel mix.

You can probably just use an F-series kits. Seem like the exhaust stuff fits pretty well just by modifying the hangers.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

I don't think its a good idea. The louder sound is just annoying, both to the driver and to other people on the road. Each to his own I guess..... A better reason would be ground clearance and general offroadability. Pipes out the back have the potential to get flattened if you bottom out on the rear, which is common on these vans. Also, if you get into a bad situation with high water and are forced to drive thru high water you can plow through it in reverse to avoid water rushing into your radiator, but not a great idea if you have dual exhaust out the back vs side exhaust IMO.

If your in a doomsday scenario your going to want to be as stealth as possible and the dual exhaust might as well be a siren asking for people to come steal the van.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

There is no MPG to be found in exhaust unless you have a corked up cat. You could potentially get a couple of HP in the upper rpms, but I doubt that's meaningful to anyone here. The best bang for the buck is a tuner. If you just want looks, don't let anyone's opinion stop you. It's your rig, so make it your own however you see fit.
Miykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miykl
There is no MPG to be found in exhaust unless you have a corked up cat. You could potentially get a couple of HP in the upper rpms, but I doubt that's meaningful to anyone here. The best bang for the buck is a tuner. If you just want looks, don't let anyone's opinion stop you. It's your rig, so make it your own however you see fit.
I agree totally, all of my exhaust expirements have sounded and looked good when sitting still, but the highway drone is bad enough to make me just leave em stock anymore. The 5-star tuner did pep my van up significantly though, even with stock exhaust.

I say go for it if you want, just remember it's for looks and how you want it to sound only

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

We put a MagnFlow Cat back system on my brother's 5.4L Expy. If made a pretty big difference when towing (i.e being able to cruise in 3rd instead of having to shift into 2nd at every overpass). No MPG improvement though under normal conditions though. It still does about 17 hwy and 10 in town. It was a single 3" system exiting at the stock location. Rear-exit pipes can get REALLY load when towing a flat-front trailer.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

I just installed the Diamond Eye 4" exhaust on my 1999 E350 with
the 7.3 Powerstroke. This is my second week driving with the new exhaust.
I drive the same way to work each work day and fill up once a week.
My MPG the week before I installed the new exhaust was 12+ MPG.
Last week my MPG was 14+ MPG. The exhaust system I installed is 4"
from the turbo all the way back with a muffler. I'm very happy with
the results. The system has a nice tone without being obnoxious.
Maybe you get better results with a diesel engine.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
DUAL EXHAUSTS

It looks like most of you that said don't do it have gassers, totally different if we're talking diesel. I've got the 7.3 and went with a 4" from the turbo back, by the way, no cats on the 7.3 diesel to deal with. Going with larger exhausts on gassers for the most part just makes them louder, yes it opens up the engine breathability a bit, but does not gain very much if any power. On diesels, it makes a bigger difference, plus helps the turbo run cooler, especially when towing, a little louder, but mainly you hear the turbo spool when outside the van, nothing can drown out that 7.3 clatter anyway. Go for it, I went with magnaflow as well, good stuff. Insulating and soundproofing the doghouse helped out a lot and using dynamat in the wells/firewall (my next project) will cut down on that engine noise.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
It looks like most of you that said don't do it have gassers, totally different if we're talking diesel. I've got the 7.3 and went with a 4" from the turbo back, .

The difference is not gas vs diesel. It's naturally aspirated vs turbo. Gains from bolt ons with a turbo motor can be significant where a NA motor is usually very little.
Miykl is offline   Reply With Quote