Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

E-150 351w Headers?

Hello this is my first post here, I did a search for this information and couldn't find any definitive information on the topic.

I just purchased a 1995 E150 with the 5.8 L 351 V8.
The pre-purchase inspection found a small leak somewhere in the exhaust manifold warranting replacement of the manifold.

Most of the online information for these motors is within the hot-rod/ muscle-car community, and is influencing me to approach this fix as an opportunity to upgrade the headers and exhaust to allow the engine to breathe a bit better.
Although all the information I find is focused on total-raw horsepower, not necessarily drivability and low-end torque that will improve the dynamics of my van and even add some MPG.

My questions for those of you in know are:

Is this a worthwhile upgrade for improving power and driving dynamics of a 4x4 Van?

Please help me understand "shorty headers" vs "long tube headers"?

Will any of the aftermarket offerings even fit within the engine-bay and chassis of the 1995 E-150?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information!

Cheers

Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Not an easy one to answer. Many have had trouble using aftermarket headers on 4x vans because the front driveshaft gets in the way.
I would be prepared to have to have brand new headers modified by an exhaust shop to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I had a '94 E350 with the 351. Shorty headers all would have required some modifications to fit. Headmen makes some long-tube headers, but they have thin flanges susceptible to warping, and probably would not fit a 4x4.

The 351 responds very well to better breathing by removing intake restrictors and doing a cat-back exhaust. So well, cooling become marginal. I ended up also upgrading to the 460's radiator, which required a new shroud, and fan-hub extension.

As for your current leaky manifolds... I'd just repair and reinstall. Once they are machined flat, they should not warp any further, so it should be a one-and-done deal assuming you use good gaskets.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Be sure to check all the exhaust studs. On later models they tend to corrode and break off. Once your missing a few, leaks are not far behind. Possibly, your manifolds are still ok, it's just a bit loose, but I can't say for sure that the 351's had this issue.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #5

Yeah, 351s had a tendency to break studs too. Once you have a leak, I think machining flat is prudent, since the leak can cause more warping. Of course... sometimes swapping out the broken studs is enough of a labor savings, its worth a shot.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Site Team

The biggest challenge on my 351W (Bronco) used to be the header bolts which didn't take long to loosen up with the extreme thermal cycling. I got to be pretty good at swapping in new header gaskets until I switched over to Stage 8 locking header bolts. Haven't had an exhaust leak since.

https://www.stage8.com/

Herb
Old 03-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Replacing the studs in my 5.4 solved the leaking problem, but getting the old studs out is a bit of a chore. I ended up taking it to a muffler shop with lots of experience in removing them. He welded a bolt to each broken stud that allowed it to back out, the thermal shock probably loosened the stud a bit too. If you suspect a less than flat manifold, but don't want to remove them, Remflex gaskets will most likely seal just fine. https://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/1.htm
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote