Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

E-350 Dana 60-70 fitment?

Hi I know some of you have made the switch from semi float to full float rear axles in your Ford vans and I would like to do the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if a 1999-2007 Disc brake Dana 60-70 Full floater will fit a 2008 (NO RSC) Ford E-350 with a Dana 60 semi float? (I found a very inexpensive 1999 disc brake unit today that would be a great candidate for a complete rebuild and gear change for much less that I have been quoted around here for any other unit)

Is there any chance the carrier might work from my current diff? I have a limited slip unit in my stock one and the new one I found is an open diff. I was thinking of using 4.10 gears and 34-35 inch tires with my V-10 to keep the RPMs about the same as the stock tires with 3.73 when I convert to 4x4 this winter, any thoughts on that?

For some reason the interchange books say that 2008-2010 are NOT interchangeable with older units but I think that it is because of the RSC option (or ABS sensor on the diff) not the mounting points or anything like that.There are NO wires or anything at all on my diff housing but the 1999 has some wires on it.

Also are the rotors and calipers the same for both semi and full floaters?

As always thanks for your help.

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Re: E-350 Dana 60-70 fitment?

No, those years they are not really interchangeable. In '08 the brake rotors became larger, and the calipers became much larger (even though the pistons shrank slightly). You cannot put the '08 calipers on the older axles, because the mounts changed as well. Technically, I'm sure you could do it, but you'll lose the brakes upgrade. The housings did not change, except on the cutaways. Those became wider, which could be a problem on a slider van. As far as I could find, all '08 Wagons with RSC came with the full float, while all non-RSC vans got the semi. The RSC/non-RSC axles have different ABS sensors and mounts (RSC axles have ABS tone rings in the rotors). But the rest of the hardware is the same. Cutaways don't get RSC, so if you have swinger doors, this is probably the best option (fender flares would be a must though).

Yes, the D60 carriers are the same whether full of semi float. However, there are differences for spline count, and gear ratios.

My Dana 70 came with a D60 carrier from the factory, and I had the carrier upgraded to the D70 carrier. This apparently required a new ABS tone ring. So I suppose doing the opposite (putting the D60 carrier in) should be doable. But with the added expense of the ABS changes, would it really pay off vs. putting the stronger carrier in?.

I did the D70 upgrade because the D60 is only good for 20,000 pounds combined, and even then is marginal. My combined weight can top 25,000 and that may go up in the future.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Another option that I did is to give Dynatrac a call. I sent 'em my semi float and had them convert it to a full float. Probably not the cheapest way to go, but worked for me and it's the same setup that SMB puts in their rigs if you're smart enough to order it that way.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

carringb, thanks, as always you have great information.

Do you know how much wider is the cutaway van axle is? I do have cargo doors so that would work.

So the axle flange mounts (spacing and hole size?) for the bottom of the calipers brackets are different starting in 2008?

And could I use a RSC axle from an 08-10 as far as you know, if I can find one?

My van must have 3 channel ABS as it does not have any sensors, wires or anything at all on the rear axle and only one brake line to the rear. I assume it uses the VSS to know if the rear brakes have locked.

scatter...I like that idea as well I will give them a call, thanks
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #5

SRW van and SRW cutaway with midship tank, rear axle = 66.4" (hub face to hub face)

SRW cutaway with rear tank =72.1". This puts the stock 245 tires are 82" wide.

Yeah, starting in '08 the caliper mounts are spaced off from the axle tube further, and the bolts are further apart. You could swap the entire backer plate, but this requires pulling the axle shafts and hubs.

I don't know if an RSC axle can be used. I though the vans all had the ABS VSS in the top of the diff (mine does). But if they did eliminate that, and use the tail-shaft sensor now, then I can't think of any reason the RSC axle would not work. You would just have to TEE the L & R lines together.