Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #131

Garage
For sure this will not work with 4wd or if you have any custom geometry due to a lift unless you can cut/weld or have a shop who is willing to do some work!

The parts list is right on the money with what’s needed. I picked up my “other parts” from Tasca but note it took forever for shipping from them and saved a ton vs my local ford store. So positive and negative.

Jim at Quadvan is a huge help and I even reached out to the folks at Weldtech for guidance.

Lesson learned, stock = plug and play, custom = custom work might be needed.

NWAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #132

Pre-‘08 steelies are #3035

Post-‘08 steelies are #10057

FWIW
1DogRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #133

JWA, thanks for this posting. Informative as others I have used over years and on other topics you have directly responded to me on (AC reservoir/bypass for broken check valve). I'm needing to replace my front rotors/pads and was looking for brand part advice and stumbled on this posting, which is appealing since it is stock parts. My front end is totally stock with no suspension changes or lifting. Also, I have the stock 16" steel rims (which it appears you had too in your photos).

Just wanted to confirm on your parts listing and replacement that the larger rotors/calipers and bracket fit on the pre-2008 vans (mine is a 2005 e350) or do you have to buy a new spindle/knuckle to hang the rotor and caliper on? Can I just buy the basic brake parts (including brake lines) if I don't need to do the suspension aspects or do I have to buy more from your parts list? If I have to purchase the spindle/knuckles, is there a part number you could provide? Thanks
fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #134
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddjr1 View Post
JWA, thanks for this posting. Informative as others I have used over years and on other topics you have directly responded to me on (AC reservoir/bypass for broken check valve). I'm needing to replace my front rotors/pads and was looking for brand part advice and stumbled on this posting, which is appealing since it is stock parts. My front end is totally stock with no suspension changes or lifting. Also, I have the stock 16" steel rims (which it appears you had too in your photos).
Well first off FDDJr1 thank YOU for sticking to the original topic---this thread has begun to drift away too far from its intended purpose.

My mod as shown here was performed on a completely stock 2003 E250 EB with no lifts etc etc, same 16" factory stock steel wheels. The knuckles do NOT need to be changed--they are the same. Follow the part numbers I list and you should be good for a direct swap.

I do show ball joints and other suspension parts being replaced but they were due, my mechanic/friend accomplished the full swap in about 6 hours actual working time. If your steering is otherwise in good shape then that level of work isn't necessary---it was just convenient for me to do everything the same day.

If you need quicker responses feel free to PM me here---always glad to help if I can.

Take care!

J W
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Well first off FDDJr1 thank YOU for sticking to the original topic---this thread has begun to drift away too far from its intended purpose.

My mod as shown here was performed on a completely stock 2003 E250 EB with no lifts etc etc, same 16" factory stock steel wheels. The knuckles do NOT need to be changed--they are the same. Follow the part numbers I list and you should be good for a direct swap.

I do show ball joints and other suspension parts being replaced but they were due, my mechanic/friend accomplished the full swap in about 6 hours actual working time. If your steering is otherwise in good shape then that level of work isn't necessary---it was just convenient for me to do everything the same day.

If you need quicker responses feel free to PM me here---always glad to help if I can.

Take care!

J W
Hi JW, hope you are well. Am finally going to attempt this upgrade on the front brakes and wanted to confirm that there is no similar 'upgrade' of the rear brakes as well. Said another way, the rear brakes stay as stock 2005 (in my case) as the brunt of the braking is done by the front brakes. I have some discounts I can claim that end soon and wanted to make sure that only the fronts are available to be improved. Apologies if you said this somewhere in the post, but I didn't see it. I already purchased the front calipers for a 2009 E350 van (mine is a 2005 E350).
fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #136

As far as I know the rear brakes on the E-series have not changed appreciably since they moved from drums to discs somewhere around 2000. So there is no easy bolt-on OEM upgrade that I know of.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #137

Garage
About 6 months ago when I had the hydroboost upgrade done with larger Wilwood rotors I had also reached out to several Shops in my area to see if any upgrades to the rear brakes were possible - basically got the same answer BrianW mentioned above..."not that I know of".
But, one did mention there might be a way to have them operate more effectively - something about adjusting a specific valve (that's currently in place) which regulates the operating load ratio between front & rear brakes. Now, its also conceivable he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about.
Had intentions to visit the Dealer to see if this truly was a possibility, but haven't made the time yet. Sounded reasonable, but I suspect if it really was a viable option it would have already been considered/shared by others on this Forum with considerably more practical knowledge...Would be enlightening if someone here can confirm one way or the other.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #138
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm so glad I subscribed to this thread to receive messages when someone posted again!

@FFDJR1: As already said the rear brakes never received the same sort of upgrade as did the fronts. Because the front's do the bulk of stopping anyway anything more in the rear isn't necessary so nothing is available.

@Twoentrix: You're basically referring to a brake bias valve which to my knowledge NEVER was a part of Ford's build for the E-Series. One could be installed ala race car set-ups with dash mounted control but at considerable cost that wouldn't justify the cost and labor. For the most part adjustable brake bias is useful in situations like road racing where things like fuel usage can upset the on-the-edge handling characteristics that type of driving requires. Since your vehicle wouldn't change too much during any one outing it would rarely need to be changed.

On the issue of hydro-boost brakes--what's your thoughts on that after having driven it for a while? I could guess the Wildwood rotors help a bit?

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #139

I seem to remember @jage having a lot of issues when he upgraded to the Hydroboost brakes.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #140

Garage
The Hydroboost upgrade is a dream! No issues with it in last 6 months & 3K miles.

Initially I had the Brakeman upgrade from Sportsmobile, but found out during the Hydroboost upgrade the rotors were actually too small since they didnt allow the pads to seat fully. Yes, the correct Brakeman rotors were on the Van, I worked with them & purchased a replacement set back in 2015 - sent the calipers to them to be reconditioned at the same time. Back then, it was still better than OEM but still left a lot to be desired. Keep in mind my Van weighs in over 11,500lbs, so I always felt I needed a whole lot more.
With the hydro-boost and the larger Wilwood rotors, the Van stops amazingly well - best upgrade I've done!!! Brake pedal is more responsive (actually feels like that of a sedan), and stopping power is dramatic now. Which had more impact??? I have no idea...but together the upgrade produced much more than I expected. I still leave enough room between myself and the car in front, but my confidence in "stopping power" when the need arises has increased exponentially, especially when traveling downhill and having to stop quickly. I've "tested" it a couple times now just to get familiar with what I can expect.
Let me also add that I have first hand knowledge (that "Oh Sh*t" experience) where I actually lost essentially ALL BRAKING when I lost vacuum - everything I had was exercised pushing that brake pedal down ...the lack of response was simply frightening. Had I been going down a good incline, on a road with and moderate curves, the outcome would have been a disaster.