Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #71

John and Adisa, at Quadvan, are very nice easy people to work with. They are holding the last 46 gallon Transfer flow, gas fuel tank for me till I can get to Portland, road trip as soon as the home shelter program is over. Joe

Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #72

I'll add this here in the hope that it helps others. I just spoke with John @ Quadvan and he gave me this rundown (these were all estimates and over the phone, so I'd contact them for final pricing):

Full front end take off: $600
New sway bar & sway bar mounts (new front ends require a different sway bar than the pre-2008 vans): $150
Labor: 6-7hrs typically @$120/hr (@quadvan), includes alignment
Total: $1,600 before tax

He was also pretty clear that this is a straightforward job that could be easily be done by any shop, so you could pick up the front end (they do not ship them) and bring them back to a shop that you use locally. He said he currently has 3 front ends with literally 4 miles on them haha. He also has a couple vans worth of stock 16" rims and brand new tires coming off vans being converted that are available.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #73

That's definitely the way to go. Did that to my 98 van 8 years ago and the best upgrade I've made. Much better brakes and handling. And if you need ball joints anyway it's basically a wash compared to getting them done. Here's a pic of the parts that I got from Quigley (new take-off). I also had to buy a new front swaybar, end links, and brake lines. I was probably into it for about $1500 total after paying for install.
Attached Thumbnails
user5023_pic21592_1449622098.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #74
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
I just spoke with John @ Quadvan and he gave me this rundown (these were all estimates and over the phone, so I'd contact them for final pricing):

Full front end take off: $600
New sway bar & sway bar mounts (new front ends require a different sway bar than the pre-2008 vans): $150
Labor: 6-7hrs typically @$120/hr (@quadvan), includes alignment
Total: $1,600 before tax
All things considered that would definitely be the way to go. When I did my '08 upgrade I replaced ball joints and every other steering part, complete cost of parts alone added about $375 to my prices shown for the brake parts. I was exceptionally lucky having a friend do the entire job while I "assisted" (mostly just watched and kept out of his way) his charges were $300.

With the take off front suspension and installation if you're into it for $1,600 that's more than fair.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #75

How did you guys solve this issue

Trying to connect the driver side hose, the only way it will get in the mount is twisted back because of the flat edge. How did you guys solved this
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #76

How much of an undertaking is doing the swap yourself? I don't have a ton of mechanical experience, but after just replacing my entire rear suspension myself, I'm feeling like things aren't all that bad if you have enough time, a haynes manual, and youtube. Plus the front-end swap seems to be pretty straight forward...
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
How much of an undertaking is doing the swap yourself? I don't have a ton of mechanical experience, but after just replacing my entire rear suspension myself, I'm feeling like things aren't all that bad if you have enough time, a haynes manual, and youtube. Plus the front-end swap seems to be pretty straight forward...
I did rotors, bearings and connected 1 of the new calipers, everything was a piece of cake except for the brake hose. Theres a C clip holding the hard line on the other side of the shock mount, I made sure to soak it for 2 days with wd40. I had to get 90 degrees nose pliers and Lots of patience.
Now I cant fit the new line on the shock mount since the newer 2008+ hoses have the flat side in the shock mount nut in a different position so I’m stuck .
Any advice?
Old 04-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #78
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post
Now I cant fit the new line on the shock mount since the newer 2008+ hoses have the flat side in the shock mount nut in a different position so I’m stuck .
Any advice?
Do you have any other views of what's giving you problems Lashidalgo? I don't remember having any issues with the newer parts pretty much dropping right into place.

Mind you its been 6+ years since I was involved helping with this upgrade. My photos don't show too much about brake line fitment, especially at the point on the body where those attach.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Do you have any other views of what's giving you problems Lashidalgo? I don't remember having any issues with the newer parts pretty much dropping right into place.

Mind you its been 6+ years since I was involved helping with this upgrade. My photos don't show too much about brake line fitment, especially at the point on the body where those attach.
Here we go:
- Red arrows point the flat side in the end. nut and shock mounts, for the nut to go through the mount these two flat sides need to be aligned. Seems like as other user said before, ford used the same nut but rotated the flat part. I'm thinking about going in there with my dremel and get the shock mount hole perfectly rounded but IDK if there's another alternative

- If I align the flat edge in the nut with the flat edge in the shock mount hole, then the hose will be rotated to where the yellow arrow is pointing. This is a really awkward position and def not long enough at full lock

Let me know if you need more info. I'm stuck here :/
Old 04-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #80
JWA

I might have accidentally solved this for you Lash.

Here's two images I have of the new OEM 2008 flexible brake line as installed on my own 2003 E250 EB.

Rotating the hose seems to be normal or usual.

Here's a link to my Imgur album showing most every photo of the new brake lines at the frame/body juncture. Some are before the new hoses were installed which might be a good point of reference.

https://jwaphotos.imgur.com/all?grid

BTW if you need more immediate help PM me---I'm here usually in the earlier mornings most days but I'm subscribed to this thead.

HTH