Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I might have accidentally solved this for you Lash.

Here's two images I have of the new OEM 2008 flexible brake line as installed on my own 2003 E250 EB.

Rotating the hose seems to be normal.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll keep digging for more images of my swap but I think those are all I have.

HTH
Ohh that looks great!, thanks for taking the time to upload the images. My van has the 6" weld tech lift so I need the extra length to get it right, else there's way to much tension in the line.

What kind of risk will represent to get that shock mount hole round? after all the c clip keeps it in place anyway.

lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #82
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post

What kind of risk will represent to get that shock mount hole round? after all the c clip keeps it in place anyway.
Well that's a good question but I didn't have the lift issue to deal with either. My first thought is its better to the flexible brake line ends keyed as they exist stock to keep the lines from being pinched or otherwise affected by the caliper's movement while driving.

If the shock mount hole were more round with only the C-clip holding the flex line in place I'd be slightly concerned it could get caught in some part of the suspension. Keep in mind I only deal with 2WD completely stock E-Series so don't really have any experience with lifts, etc

If you have the luxury of time look into having a custom line built to suit your installation. You could also speak with Weld-Tech on how they'd deal with this---I'm sure they've seen this sort of thing before.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #83

Quote:
Well that's a good question but I didn't have the lift issue to deal with either. My first thought is its better to the flexible brake line ends keyed as they exist stock to keep the lines from being pinched or otherwise affected by the caliper's movement while driving.

If the shock mount hole were more round with only the C-clip holding the flex line in place I'd be slightly concerned it could get caught in some part of the suspension. Keep in mind I only deal with 2WD completely stock E-Series so don't really have any experience with lifts, etc

If you have the luxury of time look into having a custom line built to suit your installation. You could also speak with Weld-Tech on how they'd deal with this---I'm sure they've seen this sort of thing before.
Tried the old ones and they're almost there, but still to short at full lock.
Since I need custom hoses, Ill just make an attempt to get SS braided ones, I'll report back the install process and contacts once I figure it out.

In the meantime, does anyone has any recommendation to get SS lines?

Looking in the forum I found:
- Ujoint makes SS hoses. I don't know if they will be compatible with my setup. I don't see why not since the weltech setup it is almost stock (aside from the extra 6"), the only thing I need is some extra hose length.
- I found a post where someone suggested the off road warehouse site, they seem to have "generic" lines. IDK if is the best route.
- I found https://klmperformance.com/ They have stuff for F350 and say they'll do custom.

I'll call weldtech tomorrow and see if they have any info. to point me in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #84
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Lash I may have misunderstood something---are you using the new hose part numbers I provided or just re-using those from the '07 and earlier models?

Still with the 6" lift I don't know the newer style hoses would work---I'm just trying to get a grip on your issues here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #85

Quote:
Lash I may have misunderstood something---are you using the new hose part numbers I provided or just re-using those from the '07 and earlier models?

Still with the 6" lift I don't know the newer style hoses would work---I'm just trying to get a grip on your issues here.

I got the new ones with the PNs you suggested. Since they mount with the hose pointing to the back side they’re no able to clear full lock.
The old ones were almost able to clear but since the the hydraulic inlet is located lower in the caliper body it stretches too.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #86

Garage
When I did my swap a while back I had Earl's make custom -3AN extended stainless braided brake lines to work on my Weldtec 6" setup. From what I recall the bulkhead fitting was a smaller OD than the original hole so the flat in the hole bore was not a factor. We machined the step of the fitting wider so we could get the clip back on properly. Years later and about 5k miles hard offroad and no issues (at least with that mod!).

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20170615_161101.jpg   20170615_204834.jpg   20170615_204841.jpg   20170615_204854.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
When I did my swap a while back I had Earl's make custom -3AN extended stainless braided brake lines to work on my Weldtec 6" setup. From what I recall the bulkhead fitting was a smaller OD than the original hole so the flat in the hole bore was not a factor. We machined the step of the fitting wider so we could get the clip back on properly. Years later and about 5k miles hard offroad and no issues (at least with that mod!).

Scott
For what I see in there it looks like the connection is only being held by the c-clip? looks like the light at the end of the tunnel

Im trying to get a hold of chris from ujoint. I can't find his phone # anywhere and it looks they just redid their ujoint site.

I'll make some phone calls and report back so everyone that is attempting this mod on a lifted van has some beta on how to solve this issue.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashidalgo View Post
Tried the old ones and they're almost there, but still to short at full lock.
Since I need custom hoses, Ill just make an attempt to get SS braided ones, I'll report back the install process and contacts once I figure it out.

In the meantime, does anyone has any recommendation to get SS lines?

Looking in the forum I found:
- Ujoint makes SS hoses. I don't know if they will be compatible with my setup. I don't see why not since the weltech setup it is almost stock (aside from the extra 6"), the only thing I need is some extra hose length.
- I found a post where someone suggested the off road warehouse site, they seem to have "generic" lines. IDK if is the best route.
- I found https://klmperformance.com/ They have stuff for F350 and say they'll do custom.

I'll call weldtech tomorrow and see if they have any info. to point me in the right direction.

I sourced my stainless lines from Crown Performance. I modified this kit: F-150 Series Brake Lines

2000 and up E350 vans require an additional brake line for the rear driver's side caliper instead of one extended line for the rear. Not sure if it would apply to your rig but my measurements on my 2005 SMB were:

L Front: 22.5" from the middle of the banjo to the end of the fitting
R Front: 22"
L Rear: 10.5"
R. Rear 15"

The back lines have 2 separate lines between the calipers and 1 to the frame for a total of 3 on the rear. The rear line from the frame to the T block on top of the axle is about 16" long.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I sourced my stainless lines from Crown Performance. I modified this kit: F-150 Series Brake Lines

2000 and up E350 vans require an additional brake line for the rear driver's side caliper instead of one extended line for the rear. F-150 Series Brake Lines

Not sure if it would apply to your rig but my measurements on my 2005 SMB were:

L Front: 22.5" from the middle of the banjo to the end of the fitting
R Front: 22"
L Rear: 10.5"
R. Rear 15"

The back lines have 2 separate lines between the calipers and 1 to the frame for a total of 3 on the rear. The rear line from the frame to the T block on top of the axle is about 16" long.
Right on!. Ujoint said theirs are only for their 4x4 system :/. Still no word form weldtech
Your info helps me out, I’ll give them a call today
Old 05-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #90

Deering Industries in Long Beach, CA
He is very reasonable, has been in business for Decades (doing aviation & military lines). He can be a bit cantankerous, but he does Top Shelf work.
1DogRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote