Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKRDS View Post
Funny that this thread pops up now; I have some current information. A week ago we headed out from Salt Lake City for a week in the Tahoe area. As we approached Wendover I noticed a haze of smoke in the distance behind me, and when I passed someone, they quickly accelerated back to the front of me and gave me a dirty look. I slowed down, from 80, and then noticed the roughness and smoke.

The local diesel service advised not to drive back to SLC, and offered to tow it for $400. We made it most of the way back to SLC when a tire on the tow truck lost its tread. The driver called AAA and used one of his "free annual tows" to get us the rest of the way to the dealer in SLC.

Bottom line, the Ford Dealer said one injector was bad, and they replaced all 4 on that side for $2,625 (including tax).
Sounds about right, best quote Ive gotten so far is 4200 to do all 8, I love how your rig dwarfs that roll back.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I'm pretty sure I've posted this link before but the subject title is appropriate. I wanted to pass this on to any newer folks who would find it entertaining or helpful. I appreciated Ron making this video as I relied heavily on it to change my dummy plugs and stand pipes myself. In hind sight I could have done the job anyway but following an experienced mechanic's step by step saved me an immense amount of time. If you find it helpful remember to raise a glass to Ron who was killed way, way to young.

- Eric

Thanks for posting, looks like his youtube channel is pretty informative.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #13

For our 6.0, I paid 1500 from injectors direct for the injectors, 750 for a new harness, and got the dummy plugs and stand pipes for about 35.

I installed all of it in my drive way. It's doable, but you need patience removing the turbo.
WillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillV View Post
For our 6.0, I paid 1500 from injectors direct for the injectors, 750 for a new harness, and got the dummy plugs and stand pipes for about 35.

I installed all of it in my drive way. It's doable, but you need patience removing the turbo.
About how much time did it take you?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #15

It took me about 3 days. you may be able to do it a lot faster. I also replaced the egr cooler & oil cooler.

I didn't realize my harness needed to be replaced until I put everything back together and the harness was really brittle and gave me an intermittent crank position sensor code!
WillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #16

6.0 Project of the Month must be injectors. About 2 weeks ago my 2006 started experiencing a skip, poor throttle response, smoking on mild acceleration. Pulled the following trouble codes over the next few days P0281 (Cylinder 7 Contribution/Balance), P0307 (Cylinder 7 Misfire), P0300 (Random Cylinder
Misfire), (and P0528 (Fan Speed Sens Circ No Signal, but this is another project))

So I started down the youTube rabbit hole. Drove it hard trying to potentially clear whatever may be causing injector to stick (if that was even the problem) hoping I am not causing severe engine damage. Wiggled the harness. Sniffed the fuel. Priced harnesses and injectors. Creating a tool recomendation list per DieselTechRon. Then after a 20 mile drive down the coast last weekend while idling in a parking lot contemplating months in the driveway or the piles of cash to the dealer, the skip in the idle went away.
I'm still getting P0281 sporadically , but the van is very drivable, so no longer an emergency. Dont even notice any vibration. Go figure. May just try some fuel or oil additive...
Keep us updated on progress. Subbed...

+1 for DieselTechRon. RIP...
Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #17

I get the willies reading threads like this... original injectors but not much else @ 112,000 miles. Still I pause when I go off-road and gauge if a rescue vehicle can get to me. Puts a serious damper on the fun.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
I get the willies reading threads like this... original injectors but not much else @ 112,000 miles. Still I pause when I go off-road and gauge if a rescue vehicle can get to me. Puts a serious damper on the fun.

As far as I can tell it is a long slow decline, rather than just leaving you stuck one day all of the sudden.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #19

Unless you crack a tip thus dumping fuel into the cylinder creating tons of smoke and washing out the cylinder. Don't drive on it too far if you don't have to.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Engine wiring harness is likely to be brittle at this point. I wouldn't touch one that old without planning on replacing it. It might be fine now, but once you start messing with it.... that's whey the brittleness becomes a problem.

Are you talking about the glow plugs harness or the main harness. I just asked the shop about this and they said the injector portion of the harness is not separate from the main harness but the glow plugs harness is. They have not gotten me an estimate yet but it sounds like the main harness adds a lot of labor to the job
seal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, repair