Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

EGR issues

I recently had the second EGR valve fail on a 5.8L. When the first one went out I would get an intermittent check engine warning light. I had that problem diagnosed and fixed. About 6 months later on my recent trip to Idaho I started getting another intermittent check engine light. When I got home from Idaho I parked Gnarvan in the driveway for 3 days and the next time I drove it I started hearing a strange ratteling sound. I thought it was something in the small storage bin on the doghouse ratteling around. Then the engine started shutting down at low rpm's. I crippled it back to my mechanic who replaced the EGR valve again. I was told the ratteling sound I heard was probably the spring part of the EGR valve popping back and forth when the valve was sticking open basically creating a large vacuum leak at lower idle speeds.

Has anyone else experienced multiple failures on EGR valves on a 5.8? How common is this problem?

My mechanic also recently had a EGR valve fail on a customers work van and when that valve failed it sent a chunck of the valve down into one of the cylinders.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Re: EGR issues

I guess my thought would be who makes those EGR valves? Is it a reputable company? Is there a warranty?
If its an effort to save money replacement and dropping parts jnto the engine is not cost saving. Maybe you should buy one from the Ford dealer...

....Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

The second EGR valve was covered under warranty. No cost to me. I'm just glad the engine didn't start quitting on me on the way back from Idaho. There are some mighty lonely and HOT sections of HWY 84 in eastern Oregon that I wouldn't want to be looking for a tow from.

I'm pretty sure the shop owner learned his lesson on the chunking EGR valve. When I asked where mine came from he told me they had changed suppliers and I got a good one.

This shop has always taken care of me.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

I am glad you got it squared away and that it did not do what that other one did, that would suck to have a perfectly good engine go bad becasue of a defective part. I wonder who is going to pay for that?

I dont think any shop would internationally use crappy parts as it can be bad for their reputation as well but that said sometimes trying to save the shop and or the customer money comes at a price.

Gnarvan lives

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

The owner of the box van is one lucky person. The EGR started crapping parts in the best possible place in the world. It happened while the vehicle was in the shop getting some radiator work done. The shop owner and two mechanics were standing right in front of it waiting for the thermostat to open so they could burp the cooling systed when the EGR failed. They shut it down before it ruined the engine. They tried fishing the part out through the spark plug hole but that didn't work. The shop had to pull the head. All under warranty. That guy should be a customer for life. I did see one of his other trucks in there getting a tranny rebuilt.

If u ever need work done in Washougal Washington this shop is the place to go.