Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #1

EGR not hooked up, should it be??

I was doing some maintenance on my engine (2001 e350 with V10) and noticed there is a part attached to the engine but nothing is hooked up to it. I looked up the part number that is stamped on it and it is an EGR. It has a place for a wire connector to attach and has two nipples for small 1/4" vacuum lines. There is a similar looking part to the right of this (see image) that looks like it is fully connected (wire connection and larger vacuum lines).

There are no wire connectors laying around to plug this in and no vacuum lines that are laying around so no obvious way to hook things up. Is this a redundant part given there is a similar looking part(but not identical at all) next to it?

Here is a picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jnPmArZpamEBVRMD6

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Maybe a previous owner do a "EGR delete" on your van?

Herb
Old 11-20-2022, 11:37 PM   #3

Possibly but odd for a gas engine. Also with 2 smooth cacuum lines not sure what it would actually do.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #4

Garage
Your egr would have been just to the left of the circled part with the question mark. That shiny little block off plate with the 2 bolts is where it should sit. Then it should have a bigger tube that goes down to the exhaust manifold and likely a couple other connectors. Similar to this:

I wouldn’t sweat it personally. Idaho is in the process of ditching its emissions programs anyway. Won’t be anyone in this state checking anything after the next couple of years.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the additional info Shenrie. We never had any emissions testing or requirements up here in Coeur d'Alene. We are a.bit more red neck than our neighbors in Boise. I'll not worry about it.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:35 PM   #6

Does anyone know if I should get a new 5 star tune? I didn't specify that there is no egr when I got my tune.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
Old 11-21-2022, 07:56 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ first verify my guess is correct. you should be able to see the port blocked off on your exhaust manifold too. I’m not familiar with the v10 at all, but I have made a block off plate for a similar generation crown vic that looked just like that.

then call 5 star and ask if it would make a difference in the tune you got from them. they have a good tech line.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:04 PM   #8

Got it. Thank you!
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP