Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

EGR Valve Question

After our Badger Lake trip, I was taking my daughter into Bend for the weekend and my check engine light came on. Guys at Autozone said it was a P0299 Turbo underboost code, shit. Got back over Santiam pass alright and took the rig into Landmark Ford for a diagnosis.

The guy I usually deal with no longer works with at Landmark, so I got a new guy and he really didn't explain things all that well. So this is what I understand, the turbo is okay but the problem is with the EGR valve, they replaced that and everything was covered under warranty.

Could anybody explain to me how this EGR Valve could fail? Is it my driving habits? Can I do anything to prevent this failure in the future? Any input would be greatly appreciated, I really have a elementary understanding of these types of things and would love to learn more.

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: EGR Valve Question

The EGR valve does not fail per se. It typically becomes clogged with carbon and as a result gets stuck and/or fails to operate properly. Needing to clean or replace the EGR valve is a very common issue with the 6.0. I have had to clean mine once at about 25k miles.

My mechanic has suggested that occasional hard (sustained full throttle) acceleration helps avoid excess carbon buildup on the EGR and turbo vanes. Since I stopped babying my 6.0 and started driving it hard, I have not had any EGR or turbo codes. In fact, I am still on the original turbo after 100k miles.

Good luck

R
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

^ That is a good explanation.

Hot running = less soot, and work it hard enough it'll clean the soot out.

Also, besides getting on it at least occasionally, avoid short trips (where it doesn't fully warm up, i.e. less than 5-15 miles depending weather) and don't idle for 5 minutes unless you add a high-idle switch.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #4

That's a nice final cost... after warranty that will be $500+.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

So a few months, and a couple thousand miles later...and...check engine light comes on, again. Had a feeling it might be the same code, and sure enough P0299. Van is at Landmark Ford right now, they haven't found any issues yet, so they are taking the turbo out. A little bummed that it is out of action, hopefully the damage wont be too bad. Service guy was saying that they will try to repair it, otherwise it might require a new turbo.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

I was also getting that code when I had an injector crack. My understanding is it can mean quite a few things and may not have anything to do with the turbo at all.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeWalnut
So a few months, and a couple thousand miles later...and...check engine light comes on, again. Had a feeling it might be the same code, and sure enough P0299. Van is at Landmark Ford right now, they haven't found any issues yet, so they are taking the turbo out. A little bummed that it is out of action, hopefully the damage wont be too bad. Service guy was saying that they will try to repair it, otherwise it might require a new turbo.
Do you run a fuel additive?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #8

The 0299 code is almost always the VGT ring in the turbo. Needs to be replaced and the turbo needs a good cleaning.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Do you run a fuel additive?
I do not, but I certainly will now. Just got off the phone with Toni at Landmark, they attempted to clean up the turbo as much as possible, but their opinion is to replace the turbo. He did have a bit of good news, in that it was all covered under warranty.

Then he has a couple of questions for me: Does this van get driven very much? And do you use Cetane (spelling?) Booster? Both questions were answered in the negative. Guess they could tell from the look of the inside of the turbo that it is more of a weekend camping rig, instead of a daily driver.

I'll put this down as a learning experience on my part. I do love driving it, and looks like I'll be spending more time in it. He suggested Ford Motorcraft Cetane Booster, I'll do a forum search to see what everyone else is using. Also I have been filling up at a local station that I recently noticed advertises it has B20 Diesel, which I guess is a bad idea as well. Most stations won't even mention which blend they are selling, Toni says B5 max. Does anybody else pay attention the the blend of diesel they are using?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I had a EGR failure at about 25K and Ford replaced the cooler. After that I only had the valve cleaned once somewhere around 50K. After the EGR failed (if that is even the word for it) I started using Ford cetane booster, quit the long warm up idles, and avoided the short drives as much as possible. I do drive it weekly and open it up from time to time (full throttle) after the engine is at operating temp. I also watch the EGT's and let it cool down before shut down. The shop just bullet proofed the engine (just at 100K mi) and both the turbo and EGR were fairly clean. The cetane booster? Don't know. I did switch to Rev-X and actually only used the Ford product because it was on warranty. I also have been using Hot shot secret oil additive on a regular basis.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote