Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

Re: Electric cooling fans

Not sure this will work. Can you move the trans and oil coolers as well as the AC condenser out of the radiator air flow path and install a separate fan for them? I have seen this done on race cars.

The starter may have air vents on it. The insulation should help as long as you do not cover them.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #12

86scotty ... I guess i misread your first post. Many import cars have nice compact A/C condenser electric fans . (pusher type) I looked at a picture of your van and noticed you have an aftermarket billet grill insert and although I think it looks very nice i think it may be restricting airflow to your radiator and engine compartment . just an observation. .... comparison of van grills.
Attached Thumbnails
van grill compare.JPG  
Old 08-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #13

Larrie, not sure yet.

Jack, yeah I've wondered about the billet grill I have. Maybe I should remove it and go for a drive?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #14

just did several mods that I strongly suggest. Added coolant filter, and trans filter. When I changed the first coolant filter I cut it open and it contained metal shavings and sand. First change at 100 miles, then a second at 500 miles. Also added a trans cooler with fan mounted in front of radiator. (left side facing the front) Fan sucks air thru this additional trans cooler and pushes it thru radiator. On at approx 185 deg. So far in 80-90 degree driving, I am down at least 10 degrees on trans temp, others within spec.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #15

From past life experience as a mechanical engineer JackTuppVan is absolutely right about the billet grille. The larger the free area of the grill the less the pressure drop across it which means the fan CFM increases which translates to better cooling.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

Hmmmm. Well that stinks, but I can live with it. I may still have my OEM one around that I could paint.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #17

86Scotty ... I didn't Know how to attach files to PM so I'll post here . re: OEM hood vents and cowl induction hood .for heat extraction from engine bay .
Attached Thumbnails
JEEP   5.9  vents.JPG   Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.JPG   cowl hood van.JPG  
Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #18

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #19

I just switched back from a billet grille, and it makes a real difference (~20 degrees in hot weather) in engine coolant temps. I'll probably put it back on in winter.

It didn't seem to impact transmission cooling as much (though obviously the oil to water cooler will work better), in fact I went to it in order to make room for a small electric fan to run at low speeds, I finally just hacked up the OEM grille to do the same.

I've been using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390 ... detailpage

on the transmission cooler, and it does make a real difference at low speeds, but it's not even remotely in the same class as the main, engine driven fan.

I also pulled the hood off in desperation while towing a heavy equipment trailer in stop and go traffic last summer. In my experience, it does nothing to keep things from heating up when the engine is doing work, but it does help things cool down again much more quickly when it is not.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #20

Thanks a lot Madscience. That's the info I was looking for and that fan is certainly fits the project budget. I need the reversible type. I may go for it. As for the grill I'm about to remove mine and take some evidence.