Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2023, 05:43 PM   #1

Garage
Electric vacuum pump question

I recently installed Hydro boost brakes on my diesel van. Unless I知 mistaken I think the only thing using the vacuum now are my vents On my last trip I知 pretty sure I heard the sounds of my vacuum pump failing. While it痴 not that expensive and fairly simple to replace. I知 wondering if I can delete it and just use an electric vacuum pump instead. I searched the forum, but I couldn稚 find anybody doing that in the past. Anyone having experience getting rid of the vacuum pump and going electric?

Old 01-23-2023, 10:38 PM   #2

I did just that. The trucks don't run a belt driven vacuum pump. You can reference the 6.0 bible.

I went to the parts store and got a dorman replacement vacuum pump for the 6.0 trucks.
I deleted the vacuum pump from the accessory drive. There is a coolant hose protector in that area that you will want to be wary of, but its not that hard to solve, looking at the old parts.

I now use a dorman truck electric vacuum pump. I mounted it on the fender behind the air box, and wired it to the ((i believed fused) accessory run that comes off the up fitter pigtail in the engine bay, or there about.

Here is my van, as I was pulling the old engine for reference:

You can see the vacuum pump is the right most pulley in this photo.Very simple delete. Above it is a coolant hose shield that is associated with the vacuum pump bracket. When I deleted it, I did think I used some standoffs or the original bolts to keep that feature in place. Trucks must also have some solution there.

Note one of the bolts is accessed kinda through the pulley, I had to put the socket in there, and the extension through, break the bolt off, and then put the ratcheting box end in behind to get that out. Not fun, but not impossible

The pump comes with a pigtail rubber isloators, so I drilled appropriate holes in the inner fender, and used the rubber to mount it.

I deleted that plastic vacuum manifold/distribution block that is in that area, so now its one line, across the engine bay, and underneath into the cab to run the vents and such.

Its noisy, then the 6.0 starts. LOL. The vents don't move too fast, but then again, I never had a running stock 6.0, so I'm not sure if I'm missing out.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:55 AM   #3

Garage
Desertsherpa, Thanks for this write and pic. Is there a pulley that replaces the vacuum pump or do you use a different serpentine belt?
Old 01-24-2023, 11:41 AM   #4

I put the electric vacuum pump from the Fseries truck in the Cummins van. It runs until it builds enough vacuum and then shuts off. I hardly ever hear it running.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #5

Truck 6.0 Belt. Better parts availability too!
Old 01-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I put the electric vacuum pump from the Fseries truck in the Cummins van. It runs until it builds enough vacuum and then shuts off. I hardly ever hear it running.
I think I've got vacuum leaks elsewhere, because I think mine is on always.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #7

^^ you may want to do the reservoir relocation trick. The stock Eseries reservoir is in a terrible spot and prone to having a failed/cracked hose.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ode-31097.html
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:52 PM   #8

Garage
I would DIY this but hand is all messed up right now. So I called Rob at fleet services who is my mechanic. Boom truck belt, new reservoir, and relocation coming Monday.