Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Engine Code P0299

Towing out to Indiana, running late and didn't check the air filter- too much trust in the flow restriction meter. The van ran fine for the first three states by any means. Day 1 and 2 saw 8.0 MPG on average, and then after some air in the trailer tires 9.2.

Then we hit some rough patches in IL and found a mouse nest, by virtue of it being sucked into the air filter. At least I think that's what happened.

The first thing I noticed was the fuel economy dropped to 6.4ish, that led me to the Check Engine Light. We jumped off at an Autozone and the code P0299 came up. The flow restriction meter was at 2/3 but the air filter was a mess and stuck to it the remains of a fair amount of my doghouse insulation. The old filter was shot by any estimation, and I really should have addressed it but it's such a PITA and I can't tell you how behind schedule we were leaving.

We put in a new filter and I tipped the guy a tenner to reset the engine light. They are not allowed to do this.

The van ran tip top all the way to Indiana, and most of the way back. Late Kansas, into a headwind, with 1.3x the load and MPG of 8.2 the CEL came on again after a long steep pull. The filter was clean and the van seemed fine, except it seemed to fight more than expected against the wind and grade. Oh and the scanguage reported the average MPG dropped to 4-5 mpg*.

Everything I could find said it was a sensor problem, and things ran fine so I continued with care. Of note is that we were actually getting 7.0+ MPG based on fill mileage, but the scanguage was reading 4-5 on average.

There is a list of about 100 sensor possibilities for P0299 "Turbo Underboost", but I'm hoping the fact that the scanned fuel MPG was bad will narrow it down. I'm now thinking the mouse nest/filter might have been a side effect of the bounce, not the cause of the first code, and a loose or mouse chewed bit caused both.

What should I do next?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

Re: Engine Code P0299

Switch your Scangauge to monitor MAP. Subtract 14.5 and that is your boost. What kind of levels are you seeing at WOT?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

P0299 is frequently the turbo vanes sticking. Could be rust or carbon buildup. I recently replaced my turbo with a new Garrett turbo for the same code and no driveability issues.

Or you can clean the turbo yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5Py62-cWSQ

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
P0299 is frequently the turbo vanes sticking. Could be rust or carbon buildup...
Maybe it's mouse poop from Jage's SMB house guest.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Birds cause jet engines to fail. Mice cause SMB's to fail?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

I saw MAP of 34s and 54s at various times, but I can't tell you when in the trip as it wasn't something I was watching closely.

If I take it out just to test, how long do I need to drive and what conditions should I be noting the MAP under?

And I am hoping it mouse related, not poop, but some chew on one of the sensors.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I saw MAP of 34s and 54s at various times, but I can't tell you when in the trip as it wasn't something I was watching closely.

If I take it out just to test, how long do I need to drive and what conditions should I be noting the MAP under?

And I am hoping it mouse related, not poop, but some chew on one of the sensors.
MAP is horrible to follow on the scanguage, it's so inaccurate and slow to read, plus it will jump out of range at the top levels that it's not great diagnostic to use. But if it's all you have it will work.
First you are trying to work out your Boost in PSI as that's what baseline is. Max boost is not hit until in 3rd gear, and in the van should be around 22~25psi. So get on an onram and floor it, you should see around 25psi in 3rd gear or above.
MAP reading is Boost just not in PSI. You can follow the scanguage instructions to get a Boost PSI reading from MAP, or simply subtract atmospheric pressure from MAP reading.
Atmospheric pressure is ~14.7 at sea level and 11.8 at 6k ft, so depending on your elevation, you will need to subtract something between 12 & 15 from MAP reading to get PSI reading.
When MAP get's to it's top reading point (around 32~35 on the van), it will jump very high, ignore those readings.
As long as it can regularly hit 22~25psi when you floor the van, and your getting valid fluctuation while driving (not just 0 or 100%), I think that's the only real testing you need to do.
Due to different driving styles it's hard to say what you should see driving normally. Obviously it fluctuates as the RPM & load does. I think when I'm at 70mph on cruse control, my boost is constantly fluctuating between 5 and 10psi as the cruse control is making small changes, that may be a good test as well.

So your readings listed look perfectly normal to me. MAP at 34 is normal, 54 is just erroneous scanguage reading that all have.

P0299 is underboost, so that means the ECU is asking for X psi and not reading X on the MAP censor.
So other things to check would be leaks in the turbo piping (common in the van) / inter cooler cracked (more common in the truck).
Going back to the turbo, (which is most lightly your problem on a 6.0 with this code) you can also monitor Variable Geometry Turbo Charger Duty Cycle % with the scanguage, so program that one in as well, and your best off searching the forums for an explanation of expected readings on that.

I believe things like the Exhaust Backpressure Sensor is also used in Boost management, so you may want to monitor that from the scanguage, but I don't think that would make the underboost code come up.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Below PDF is a good thing to print and keep in the van. Has all the xguage codes and expected readings for the 6.0.

(You will need to be registered on http://www.ford-trucks.com to download it)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...dFlt-VqFvPQBFg
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #9

With X-gauge functions, just remember the 3 letter names are only suggestions - you can name them any 3 letter name that you like. Whatever name makes sense to you.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote