Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #21

Re: Engine Codes - P0299 and P0611 (FICM and Turbo)

Yep, that was part of the custom tune...but don't tell anyone.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #22

Garage

What EGR?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #23

I'm definitely no expert but those FICM voltages still seem a little low to me. Not dangerously so, but still on the low side for what they should read regularly. I've always thought the target number was 48.5 with an acceptable range being 47.5-49. Mine usually runs at 48-49 with only occasional brief blips down to 47.5. I use a Scangauge for those readings. Again, I don't want to cause you any undue concern so hopefully someone will chime in and set me straight.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
I'm definitely no expert but those FICM voltages still seem a little low to me. Not dangerously so, but still on the low side for what they should read regularly. I've always thought the target number was 48.5 with an acceptable range being 47.5-49. Mine usually runs at 48-49 with only occasional brief blips down to 47.5. I use a Scangauge for those readings. Again, I don't want to cause you any undue concern so hopefully someone will chime in and set me straight.

I would agree. Above 45 volts is not damaging, however below 48 volts is less than it should be. Definitely good idea to monitor FICM voltage religiously at this point. That's not saying it will crap out tomorrow, but it probably won't get any better either.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #25

Thanks WhitH and Carringb. I agree and was told the same by the shop. I'm hoping to get another year out of it (or however long it can go). I was told it shouldn't die immediately but instead I would see a slow decline. I'm monitoring the voltage every time I drive it. I do plan on replacing it with BPD or FICMRepair when the time comes.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #26

Greetings sdwindandsea. I don't mean to sound like an echo but just wanted to share my experience that supports what others are saying about a slow dying FICM. It sounds like you just paid a bunch for some needed parts recently and I understand trying to limp a machine along while the budget recovers. I've done that also, but.

My 6.0 had developed a big lag from a dead stop. It was fine anytime moving (normal boost pressure, no codes) but off the line it was mash the peddle and wait.I went after the turbo as the likely culprit. I did the normal turbo cleaning procedure and changed the unison ring. The unison ring was worn slightly but not as much as I thought it could be (my van had a stuck turbo when I bought it, another story). The turbo work didn't really help the lag but it did cure the slight puff of smoke off the line. So I thought it had to be something else.

I read on the truck 6.0 forums that a FICM could also cause lag, and dead injectors. I started monitoring my FICM voltage at 46-47 with the occational drop to 45.5 and figured it was time to change it. Went with the BulletProofDiesel method of changing just the power supply half of the FICM. I opted for the 48volt, 6 phase for redundancy. It was easy to do with the BPD instructions and videos. Immediately the lag was gone. Now my FICM voltage is 48-48.5 all the time. Maybe placebo effect but the engine seemed a little quieter too.

It's been the experience with my 6.0 at least that parts seem to get weak over time which stresses another system as that system tries(dies) to make up for it. My method of 6.0 contentment is just try to be alert to signs that my 6.0 isn't well and make improvments. Thanks for sharing your project and great adventures.
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #27

I was researching FICM on the site due to my mechanic thinking that my ficm is bad causing the van to not want to always start. right now I need to cycle the key as many as 35 times to get the injectors to buzz, the glow plug light the cycle, and the truck to turn over. 2006 ford e350 6.0 powerstroke. If not the ficm maybe the relay or ingnition switch itself we are thinking. Any other threads I should read? voltage good. Lots of juice and clean connections. Just returned from a 10 day 2500 mile trip. Happened every start. Also battling P0299 like many others. I think my turbo vanes are dirty.
jeepn4fun69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #28

I had the 299 code. Ended up having the turbo pulled and cleaned. The unison ring was stuck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk