Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Engine Degreasing?

Re: 2005 E350 5.4 gasser motor, 2WD

So had an Accusump accumulator rupture (due defective end cap threads) and because it was mounted over top of the intake just in front of the throttle body it made quite a mess in the engine bay. I'm curious how to best clean the oil off the engine? The engine has about 1200 miles on a reman'd install and I hate it being dirty already.

What products and procedures have worked? I have heard of those using pressure washers and too harsh of cleaners causing all sorts of problems I'd like to avoid. Naturally the quick and easy low-effort process is preferred but if it means I'm removing bits of the induction or electrical system that's fine too.

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #2

Simple green and a garden hose. Just try not to spray the alternator, or into the spark plug boots. Might have to pull the coils afterwards to let them dry, of you do have to wash the topside.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

I was pleasantly surprised recently that Gunk Engine Degreaser is still a very good product. I used it many years back and now that California is destroying many formerly great products with their dubious rules, I'm surprised this one is still a winner. I like the fact that it foams and sticks to the target to start the magic on the grease and then it sprays away.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

A side question: What are you doing with an Accusump on a street gas engine? Must be an engineer! LOL

Like has been suggested, I've also used Gunk and a garden hose for things like that for the last 40yrs, more recently Simple Green, both work good.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
A side question: What are you doing with an Accusump on a street gas engine? Must be an engineer! LOL
Well yah an Accusump with all the attendant EPC valves etc would be "ill advised" on a street engine. That system functions as an engine pre-oiler---makes me a lot more comfortable knowing my reman'd engine has oil pressure before the starter is engaged.

Most of the oil I'll be cleaning is in the valley of the block. I can park the van on an uphill slope, apply the degreasing solution and let it flow through into a catch pan under the back of the block. Everything else above the block/head joint can be cleaned with a few hundred paper towels and something like brake cleaner.

Good advice about keeping the plug boots and wells clean & dry---that's a priority of course.

Any other good ideas keep 'em coming---glad to hear it all.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

If you use Gunk or any sort of degreaser, do the environment a favor and go to a self-serve car wash to do it. Generally they (are supposed to) have a filtering system for the waste water. Otherwise, you are washing your oil-contaminated water into the storm drains and then into the local water supply. Even in Ohio that's probably frowned upon ;-)

As a side question, is steam cleaning an engine a terrible idea? I know some car dealers do it for used cars.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
brp

I have had really good luck with Simple Green Foaming Cleaner. Simple Green is great in general, but the foaming variant will "stick" to all the vertical and round surfaces in an engine bay. You let it sit for a while then you can use a fairly gentle spray and get great results. I had to order it online, normal stores don't seem to carry it.

Should be more environmentally friendly as well.

Edit... I just realized Simple Green has a few different products with similar names. The one I have used and liked is the Simple Green foam that has crystals and is industrial. Item 19010

https://www.amazon.com/Foaming-Cryst...812PYYWQ33F6WB
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Simple Green Crystal sure should be good for the environment - it's 82% water!

https://simplegreen.com/downloads/SD...serAerosol.pdf

http://www.rscbrands.com/products/msds/EB1.PDF
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you use Gunk or any sort of degreaser, do the environment a favor and go to a self-serve car wash to do it. Generally they (are supposed to) have a filtering system for the waste water. Otherwise, you are washing your oil-contaminated water into the storm drains and then into the local water supply. Even in Ohio that's probably frowned upon ;-)

As a side question, is steam cleaning an engine a terrible idea? I know some car dealers do it for used cars.
Even in Ohio? We're NOT that backward here in the midwest!

We have strict-for-us laws governing hazardous materials being introduced into storm or sanitary drains. FWIW we had a family of seeding folk who removed a mini van engine in their drive way and proceeded to drag it around back tipping it upside down of a storm drain access. The EPA were called and they referred the matter to our county Sheriff office---a visit was paid but not sure of the outcome. Those folks are long gone now, 10+ years ago.

But I did get this mess cleaned up, even removed the alternator for more clear access to the engine valley. There were a few pools of clean oil so a few handfuls of heavy duty paper towels and several cans of aerosol brake cleaner later the engine is mostly clean now.

Do know the rags and soaked oil-fouled materials will be placed in suitable receptacles similar to how used oil filters are disposed. I don't drive an electric vehicle but I do strive to NOT pollute at all times. I'm a frequent visitor to our local recycling bins.

As far as steam cleaning an engine---BAD idea! Same with pressure washers----their spray gets into spark plug wells, electrical connectors and other delicate electrical devices too quickly. There are probably tons of people who'll say its not big deal but that's easy enough said when its NOT their vehicles.