Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Engine Guru's Please Help

Recently got an Excursion with 6.0 powerstroke as a project. It needs a new oil cooler. The delta's are @ 30F. I wanted to make sure the head gasket is fine so running a cooling sustem pressure test.

Loaned a fuel pressure guage from autozone and connected it as a T at the overflow tank(see pic). Did a 30 min run running at operating temps and did some WOT's as well. The pressure stayed at 10PSI. I'm thinking that my heads are fine.

But someone said that I should do the measurement with a guage with smaller range (0 - 30 PSI) for more accuracy. The guage I used is caliberated (0-100PSI), please see pic.

Do you think i should repeat the test with lower pressure guage?

Some related info: My overflow tank doesn't puke, vehicle doesn't over heat I have an external digital guage for monitoring EOT, ECT. No visible smoke out the tail pipe.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1537567403394.jpg   IMG_20180921_123603.jpg  

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Hi Karma, sorry to hear your having issues. I realize this guy has his critics but just wanted to pass on another approach to testing 6.0 headgaskets that are passing compression into the coolant system.

- Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Hi Karma, sorry to hear your having issues. I realize this guy has his critics but just wanted to pass on another approach to testing 6.0 headgaskets that are passing compression into the coolant system.

- Eric

Eric,

That's exactly i how did my test. My question is around the guage to use. Mine is 0-100 PSI. Someone told me I should use 0-15 or 30 PSI for more accurate readings.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #4

Somehow I missed the WOT part of your procedure. Yes, if it was my van I would repeat test with a 0-30 psi or better a 0-15 gauge. Also I would use a coolant cap I was positive was holding up to 16+ psi and not just relieving at 10. Thus a false gasket are good reading. I bring up the cap because I’ve had two new out of the box caps only hold 4psi beef getting a good one.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Somehow I missed the WOT part of your procedure. Yes, if it was my van I would repeat test with a 0-30 psi or better a 0-15 gauge. Also I would use a coolant cap I was positive was holding up to 16+ psi and not just relieving at 10. Thus a false gasket are good reading. I bring up the cap because I’ve had two new out of the box caps only hold 4psi beef getting a good one.

-Eric
I think AutoZone, Advance Auto et al have cooling system pressure testers available for loan or rent. I bought a gently used Stant system and added Ford-specific adapters to test the cap and degas bottle. Next up will be those to test fuel caps.

I was relieved to know my new Motorcraft cap was indeed holding 16psi. Not an often-used tool for me but having one is a relief all its own.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

oil cooler

If you decide to replace your oil cooler I think you should completely clean your coolant system and add a coolant filter before you replace the oil cooler. My 6.0 was running way to hot delta t between EOC and EOT were very concerning. I believe I have resolved the problem with out replacing the oil cooler by doing a multiple stage involved flush of the coolant system. I don’t think it makes sense to replace the oil cooler with out first cleaning your coolant. I can detail the process I went through if you are interested.
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
If you decide to replace your oil cooler I think you should completely clean your coolant system and add a coolant filter before you replace the oil cooler. My 6.0 was running way to hot delta t between EOC and EOT were very concerning. I believe I have resolved the problem with out replacing the oil cooler by doing a multiple stage involved flush of the coolant system. I don’t think it makes sense to replace the oil cooler with out first cleaning your coolant. I can detail the process I went through if you are interested.
Thank you, yes I've been flushing it(driving it till operating temp, drain and refill).... have done like 7 times so far. Will do some more until i get clean fluid coming out used DAWN Dishwashing liquid too.

Will be doing the heads too, truck runs fine no overheating but when i pressure tested the cooling system, i noticed exhaust pressure at WOT in cooling system. Have no other symptoms.