Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #31

Re: Engine Mods for the V10 Ford what have you done

we will be using the big trailer for play and for races that we run in the sportsman classes..
the van doesnt not have commerical plates ... if needed we can put private coach on the side...

99% of toy hauler trailer 28ft or longer have a gvw of 12k and 90% of the drivers out there do not have the currect lic...

in cali you can get for a bumper pull over 10k a class A non comerical ....you have to take a driving test with your van+ trailer in my case....

but that is point i was thinking that a van legally cant tow a 28ft and up trailer that is s toy hauler or self contained

did notice on the vin sticker my van says this

equiped with the Ford RV prep pkg... wonder what this is..

MrWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #32

i was also wondering is the std length van can pull more????

a 1ton standard cab truck can pull more than a crew cab 4wheel drive truck can...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #33
Site Team

2014 E-series tow ratings.
I'm sure other year's tables can be easily found.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #34

thank you bronco

i already new my V10 had a 10k for trailer

what i dont know if a 7.3 deiesel std van has more tow rate... and carringb says V10 or diesel has the same... kinda susks

you can buy a 1/2 truck now that tows more than 10k
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #35

The 10k "Tow-Rating" is limited by the factory 10k receiver. Upgrade to a class-5, and you can utilize the remainder of your GCWR. And since DOT doesn't care what your factory GCWR is anyways, only the sum of the van's and trailer's GVWRs, you can really tow whatever you want as long as you stay under axle ratings. And really, for the driving test and licensing requirements, only the GVWR of the trailer matters. (Other than the van must weigh more than 6,000 pounds in California to pull a trailer over 10k or to pull doubles).

RV-prep package is more like a trim level. It comes with some amenities to make it easier to convert, but does not come with full FMVSS compliance, so the final stage up-fitter must post their own certification.

PS - if you register the van as a bus, you can legally tow double trailers with your Class-A license in California. Just an FYI.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #36

im not understanding you totally carringb so please bare with me

cali has it out for the big trailers in fact just out side of Glamis (one of the biggest sand dune rider area)
CHP is there waiting with digital scales and all...

also the Cali DMV when you to the Class A non commerical driving test they check both tow rig and trailer for all legal weight...

the GVWR of my van is 9400

i can weight the van to see what it weights

i do have a cass 5 hitch
Old 02-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked
cali has it out for the big trailers in fact just out side of Glamis (one of the biggest sand dune rider area)
CHP is there waiting with digital scales and all...
They are simply looking for proper licensing. Use your van to test with a trailer over 10,000 pounds to you can get your class-A (don't forget the medical exam) and you will be good to go.

Just be careful about going over 26,000 total weight, because with your described use, you probably would be considered commercial by DOT, regardless of some sort of "private carrier" or "not for hire" label on the side. Toy Hauler trailers are registered as RVs, which are exempt. But a car hauler, even with living quarters, would not be unless it came with an RV-VIN and RVIAA certification.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #38

in cali this is wrong Toy Hauler trailers are registered as RVs, which are exempt

even in a toy hauler with a GVWR of 10k or more bumper pull Class A non commerical is needed by law in cali

10to15 GVWR in a 5th wheel a Class C with indorsement

15+ 5th wheel Class A non commerical

theres is no medical exam needed for non commerical

and yes if trailer is 12k plus you need the tow rig to be able to tow that legally

there has been many law suits with trailer manufacture s this is also why CHP is going after this
Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked
in cali this is wrong Toy Hauler trailers are registered as RVs, which are exempt

even in a toy hauler with a GVWR of 10k or more bumper pull Class A non commerical is needed by law in cali
Sorry if I'm not understanding the trailer situation. So you are only looking at Toy Haulers, and not Car Haulers with living quarters? For Toy Hauler, you are correct. Just watch total weight if its a car hauler with living quarters because you would need a commercial Class-A if you went over 26k.

I hadn't realized CA removed the medical exam requirements for non-CDL Class-A's. I thought it was required at one point, but now I see they only require a Medical Questionnaire.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #40

all good info carringb

we are looking for either or... either trailer the size i need the GVWR is more than what the van is rated... so not sure what to do...

maybe for now buy a smaller trailer

i just wonder if the different length vans and the different engine had a different tow rate....

thank you all again for the info... im just doing the research before i send alot time and money and have to go a different way...