Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Engine Monitoring

Is anybody running a Infinity DP Tuner? I'll admit these engines (especially my 6.0) have a lot of stuff to monitor. I'm no mechanic and consider myself kind of like Oddball and his broke down tank in the movie Kelly's Heroes telling Big Joe " I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work". Needless to say, a breakdown in the backcountry could be very costly for me.
So anyway I got my new monitor installed and am wondering what are the best things to keep an eye on as a preventive measure to engine failure. This unit seems to have way more stuff on it than my Scan Gauge. I just can't find any data on what the thing can do (see edit). It's unreal what is offered when scrolling through the menu. Most of it is Greek to me.

I already have separate gauges for EOT/ECT/EGT/T-Temp/Boost. On the Infinity I'm watching FICM vehicle voltage, and FICM main power as well as fuel pressure. For what ever reason I was told to measure MAP even though I have a separate boost gauge.

I found this thread very helpful but it's geared toward the Scan Gauge:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ups-14270.html

Any ideas on the best areas to monitor? Also if anybody has a web link on the Infinity other than what the PDF DP offers as far as what it monitors I would really appreciate it.
[edit] I just found this:
https://www.dp-tuner.com/aitdownload...itfile_id/544/

Thanks

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Seems like you've got it covered except for fuel pressure.

It varies and also depends on whether one has nixed the EGR cooler which makes EOT and ECT somewhat moot but IMO these are the first four:

1. Fuel pressure
2. Coolant temp
3. Oil temp
4. EGT/Pyro

Then, these. And for the vans one might move TFT higher up the list. If you've got turbo issues then perhaps boost. And of course, without the HPOP you're dead in the water.

5. Trans temp
6. FICM voltage
7. HPOP pressure
8. Boost
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Got the Fuel Pressure already Joe. Out of what you listed the only thing I haven't set up is HPOP. I'll look into that. I'm interested in hearing about if there are any other items to monitor that might help. If the MAP is useless (provided my boost gauge covers that end), I have about 5 other things I can watch.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

Greetings Dave,

It looks like you have the major stuff covered and then some to detect if eminent trouble is about to happen. I just wanted to offer a suggestion which comes from aviation. It can get easy to start to fly your gauges and neglect to look out the window. It sounds crazy but it happens. When it comes to the van it's not like your going to crash into the ground but watching the gauges can cause a person to start worrying about every spike in values as a precursor to "please not here, not now". It can add a lot of stress to what would be an enjoyable trail if the gauge wasn't there. I've experienced it before.

One thing that I use a lot on my monitor is my torque converter lock indicator. It's just a tiny pad lock icon on my edge insight and I didn't even think about it until I was using the monitor. I will keep an eye on it and when doing transmission intense driving trying to keep it locked as much as possible. I find that I shift my trans more manually than most between 3,4,5 also. This comes in handy climbing the long Colorado highway grades and some of the smoother dirt trails too. Having the TC locked keeps the trans temps way down and the power to the ground up.

Question, How did you tap into your fuel system to get fuel pressure reading. I have the ability to add a pressure sensor to my Edge but don't know where the best place to tap into the system is.

Lastly, Dave, Thank you for your contribution to the forum and the site team. The community/forum has greatly contributed to my success and enjoyment of owning the van.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Thanks Eric. I had to add a Fuel Pressure Auto Meter sensor that is recognized by the tuner. Like I said, I'm no mechanic.The shop did it. The tune is a tow tune and I rarely have to go into much other than killing the OD on grades. I'm not saying what you're talking about might lower the T-temps. I'll look into that.The Tuner can also log 16 more parameters in memory if I'm reading it correctly but it's the visible reading I want to set alarms on. I'm not a gauge watcher and rely on alarms to wake me up. If there is one thing I don't like about the tuner is it's hard for my old eyes to see. But I can still hear provided the music isn't too loud. I figure between the visual alarms, the audio alarms and the display, one should catch my attention. Anytime I get a weird feeling if the engine is running abnormally in any respect I start looking. Just me.

If there are parameters that fall out of the "normal" values pointing at an issue down the road I'd like to pick what's best to monitor.

I always laughed that I measured my MPG's with the scan gauge but ...

Who cares about that compare to seeing on oncoming failure that will leave you stranded. Wishful thinking I guess.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #6

battery voltage. If you let yor batteries get too far down and they die it can take out your FICM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

High pressure oil control solenoid duty cycle is a good one too. It's it's constantly running at 100% to maintain injector pressure, you have leakage somewhere you shouldn't.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Oops doubble post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Anyone have a coolant pressure gauge on a 6L? Im thinking of ordering one for the extra port in my coolant filter. Just not sure if its overkill.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

I run a coolant pressure sender on my 6.0. Its not overkill at all. It probably save me when a new coolant cap wouldn't hold pressure. I would have not known until the reservoir blew steam. Remember our engines run above boiling as normal for thermal efficiency which means pressure in the system is nessacery. Just a note when you see the pressure reading you need to add the hight(or head) from the highest elevation point of coolant down to the elevation of the sending unit. In my case that's why I have a 16psi cap but will see 17.8 on the gauge. Use 2.304 feet for every psi if your a math person.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote