Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #31

Re: EOT & ECT - Too Hot?

JoeH, good article on the flush thanks.

It now makes me wounder how good is the Valvoline vacuum flush process that empties the system by vacuum flushing it out and uses the same vaccum to back fill with fresh fluid. You can see all the nasty stuff in the glass container that hold the recycled coolant, I was surprised with all the contaminants given that I did this 11 mo ago. I theorise that this flush free up some contaminants as its under some pressure and for $100 my strategy is to do this every year or until I start seeing cleaner coolant comming out of the system. Probably cheaper to put a filter in and that's in my to do list too.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
JoeH, good article on the flush thanks.

It now makes me wounder how good is the Valvoline vacuum flush process that empties the system by vacuum flushing it out and uses the same vaccum to back fill with fresh fluid. You can see all the nasty stuff in the glass container that hold the recycled coolant, I was surprised with all the contaminants given that I did this 11 mo ago. I theorise that this flush free up some contaminants as its under some pressure and for $100 my strategy is to do this every year or until I start seeing cleaner coolant comming out of the system. Probably cheaper to put a filter in and that's in my to do list too.
And really that's all the Ford Gold crap needs. Regular maintenance and nitrite check. Swap it out every 30,000 or 40,000 miles. Ford missed the boat on the 100,000 maintenance interval. From all reports I've read it's the poorly maintained Gold that turns to sludge. The casting sand issue seems to be hit or miss. Some 6.0s have it and some don't. When I've cut open my filter it has just a miniscule amount of very fine sand in the bottom after 1000 or more miles.

Flushing the 6.0 with harsh chemicals is tricky business. You run the risk of really stirring things up and completely plugging your oil cooler. I wouldn't do it unless I was going to replace it. If simply switching out to an ELC perhaps a lot of flushing, first with tap water and then finishing with distilled water might be enough.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #33

This thread got me thinking about the temps in The Van. I have a Scangauge, so on a little trip today here's what it read.

2005 6.0, stock front bumper, about 67,000 miles on the clock. Outside temp was about 50 degrees

at 65 MPH for about 15 flat miles:

ECT 191
EOT 197
TFT 166

at 70 MPH for about 20 flat miles (I know, hard to believe, 20 miles at 70 MPH on I-5 in Western Washington)
ECT 191
EOT 199
TFT 168

Even on stinko' hot days in Eastern Washington and Oregon, The delta has always been 7 to 10 degrees between ECT and EOT. And that's been the case on slow crawls on hot days where I haven't had much air moving through that nasty little space Ford calls the "engine compartment".

Someone in this thread asked if they would know when the fan kicks in...Oh yeah! The first time THAT happened was a hot day going over Blewett Pass on my way to Wenatchee...what do I do, Mayday! Mayday!

When I charge up over any one of the various passes I encounter, both ECT and EOT rise dramatically, but the engine still maintains the 7 to 10 degree delta, so hopefully, life is good....I have learned as The Van gets older, and I get smarter, that it's NOT a power statement to be able to crest a pass in overdrive, it's plain stupid! Gear down, and slow down.

Tom