Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 11:18 AM   #1

Exhaust Options (Cat theft..)

Been a long while since I last stopped by, but I need some help if anyone is local to the SF Bay (California) and knows a good muffler shop...

Last night had the joy of having my cat -almost- stolen and thankfully the thieves darted before finishing their second cut...

Van is an early 1997... It likely needed a new exhaust system anyways. I wanted to do a high, before-axle exit- lose some trivial weight and not have to worry about snagging the exhaust on anything anymore. I was thinking about making/having a shop make a removable section of the exhaust for the catalytic converter, keeping the cat somewhere safe and just having a section of straight 3" pipe/resonator in its place when parked (..... or for off-road use only ....). I'm sure running without cats is very illegal and I love all of the regulation CA has to offer.

Anyways..... Apologies for my sour mood. Does anyone have good recommendations for fixing, besides using hi-temp epoxy and exhaust clamps, leaving the cat there for them to try a second time?

Thanks for any help/suggestion

Old 05-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #2

Considering catalytic converter theft is national issue most exhaust shops have a cage solution they can offer. Call around your local area. Sorry it happened to you. My truck stays in a garage for this reason.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #3

Garage
It’s illegal for any shop to mess with the converters, unless they are replacing with either oem, or the equivalent, which if you read through the laws could end up being illegal as well. Our gubment made sure to word everything so it can be misconstrued to serve whatever argument they have against you. When it leaves their shop all federal standards have to be in place. No reason you can’t have the converter flanged on each for easy removal though
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote