Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

Re: Express van rear locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy that lists a locker for the rear diff. It acts a lot more like a LSD than a true locker. Before you buy something that the marketing folks at GM are calling a locker I'd suggest you talk to a good GM mechanic and find out exactly what a G80 option rear diff really is.
I honestly don't know the difference between lockers, and limited slip, factory options, etc. that is why I am asking the pros.

I know is my '00 silverado has a factory "locker" and in 2wd there is no comparison to how much better it is than my van. And my van has thousands of lbs of tools that my truck doesn't.

Living in MN for 40 years, I have done my share of driving in crappy conditions. I just don't like getting stuck at stop signs on plowed roads, or not being able to climb my almost flat driveway with a tiny bit of snow on it. I really just want something that gives me a little extra traction when I need it.

I appreciate all the help so far.

Brew

tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #12

Garage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

The way I understand the G80 option in the chevy is normally it is an open differential. When one wheel starts slipping more than the other, it locks up.

Eaton makes the G80 but I don't see an aftermarket version availalbe on their web site.

http://powertrax.com/ these guys appear to make a combination limited slip/automatic locking aftermarket system.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #13

I'd suggest spending some time on the Eaton website and figure out which type of diff will work best for you.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServ ... /index.htm

You can also spend some time on youtube checking out the real life application of the different types of diffs

Here are a couple of youtube's on the Truetrac

This is a youtube on a Eaton Mechanical locker. This one is pretty complex and may be what the G80 is.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miykl
I just don't want to deal with clutches and friction modifier gear oil used in the usual LSD.
You put the oil in, you put the modifier in, you put the filler plug back on. That's really all there is to it.
Most full synthetics (which Ford at least specifies) don't even require the addition of LSD additive. But setting up an LSD diff to be effective in something as heavy as our vans requires a little extra work. Basically you have to add a few more discs to up the pre-load.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #15

Thanks, I will check everything out. I watched the videos a couple times and it helps explain how things work.

If I decide on the G80 route, it will just be an axle swap. If I can find a used one in good shape for the right money.

The simpleness? of the truetrac is still appealing though. just to repeat, it is strictly a daily driver work van so I don't want to get carried away.

Brew
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #16

ive got a factory g80 in my 2500 cargo. i try not to drive it in the show if i can help it, but i have and its not too bad. if the snow is packed hard, ive had some trouble...thinking about it the van was 100% empty at the time and i had to back up a hill, 2 people sitting in the back and a little sand got me going and i made it the rest of the way up. im on highway tires too, nothing even remotely aggressive.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #17

I never did this yet, and yesterday we had a dusting of snow. I almost spun out twice crossing over overpass bridges. I am going to have to re-visit this and give something a try.

Brew
Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #18

Adding a locker won't keep you from "spinning out". In fact, it will make it more likely than an open diff.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #19

First time it happened I just turned on to an overpass and immediately went sideways. Second one I was at a stop light and couldn't climb up the 2% grade to cross the bridge. I just know my truck with the factory locker does much better.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #20

Ok, next question. can I replace my semi-floating axle with a full floating axle? If so, should I? Would it be a dumb or smart thing to do?

Thanks

Brew