Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #21

Re: Express van rear locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers
Ok, next question. can I replace my semi-floating axle with a full floating axle? If so, should I? Would it be a dumb or smart thing to do?

Thanks

Brew
Yes and Yes. The mounts will be the same. But if you have StabilTrak, you may have a hard time finding a full float compatible with stability control, because I think GM went semi-float prior to making StabilTrak standard on the vans. You might have to go with a nearly-new 14-bolt out of the new pickups, but you'd first have to verify wheel-sensor compatibility and tone-ring tooth count. A newer Suburban 2500 rear axle should have it too but those rigs are getting more and more rare anyways.

A full float axle is stonger to start with, and it "fails safe". I.e. if you break an axle shaft, you lose power to the wheels. If you break and axle shaft on a semi-float, you lose the entire wheel.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #22

Ok, sorry for my ignorance, but I want to make sure I get everything correct.

I don't have anything right now, it is completely plain jane '06 cargo van. My original thinking was to just replace my open rear axle with one with the factory G80 option. In my searching, I see the full floater axles with the G80 option are pretty common. So I was just wondering if it would be a direct swap. I know I will have to get different rotors, but would I also need a different-shorter? driveshaft? Anything besides that?

Thanks for the help

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #23

An '06 Cargo van makes it easy. No StabilTrak to worry about.

Chevy built the vans with GM 10 bolt or D60 semi-float and the D70 and GM 14-bolt full floats.

The Dana 60 and 70 use the same tone ring and sensor for ABS. I have not idea about the 14-bolt. I've read a few folks have put the 14-bolt in their Ford vans so maybe it is the same???

Also, the Dana axles and some 14-bolts use the same U-joints, but the 10-bolt will have a different U-joint and some 14-bolts are different.

I have no idea about the drive-shaft but good chance there's enough room on the slip-joint for all the axle combinations.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #24

Thanks, I know I don't have a full floater now, and I think I have the Dana 60 10? (I thought 12) bolt. here are some pics,

tag

Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #25

Ok, one more question. Will an axle assembly from an extended van, fit on my regular wheel base van?

Thanks,

Brew
Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #26

Yes, you have a Dana 60.

Yes, an Extended van axle will fit.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #27

Thank you, those are the type of answers I needed.

Brew
Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #28

Ok, I ended up buying a used rear axle assembly from a junk yard. I am having it delivered to a buddy that owns a mechanic shop. I hope to get it installed next week or the following.

I did figure out mine is a Dana 60, 12 bolt.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #29

Just an update, I did buy one from a junk yard going off what they told me I had. I had it delivered to a buddies repair shop and it was about 2 months before I could make it up there (100 miles or so) and the second I walked in and saw the axle, I knew it wasn't going to be a direct swap. It was a full floater, and mine is not.

Since it was past the return window, I had to pay a $50 restocking fee and send it back. So as of this second, I am in the same boat as I was in the beginning. Afterwards I figured I probably should have kept it and done the swap, but since it is my work vehicle, I couldn't have it out of commission for a week or what it would have taken me to do all the little things. And I couldn't afford to have my buddy do it all in his shop that day (plus he was busy)

Anyway, square one. Will keep looking for a used one to do this summer.