Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Extended Warranty for Diesel

Hi All,

I am coming up on my three year deadline for purchasing the extended warranty for the 2006 Ford 6.0 PSD. I don't have a 4X4 ( ) so I don't have the potential warranty void issues I have heard about. I have about 5K miles right now, but will be putting some significant miles on it in the next 2-3 years. I have had no issues to date.

Soooo, in your opinion would you spend the $4000 ish on the super duper Ford warranty? My local dealer says yes simply because of the 06 6.0 PSD issues.

Thanks,
Linda

lmsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #2

Re: Extended Warranty for Diesel

If I am not mistaken the 6.0L warranty is 5yr/100,000. I am getting ready to get the diesel extended warranty for about $1800 through Ford.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I was surprised when Ford said I didn't qualify because the van had been converted. The local dealership back then said NO. That was for the extended 36000 warranty. Next year the 5 year/100000 part comes up. I just got my 6.0 back from the shop for EGR and manifold failure as well as a failed injector. Total cost would have been about 2400 bucks. Thank God it was under warranty. Waiting to pick up the van I again asked about an extended warranty. It's not as good as the pre-36000 warranty but not bad. Now Ford says I can get it. Am I? Absolutely!

BTW, oil testing showed a bad injector 5000 miles ago but Ford said no way and would not take into account that the Blackstone Lab said it was failing. That ticked me off. Could that caused the EGR failure??? Sorry no mechanic here. Sometimes it seems Ford uses the warranty against you but let err fail. As long as I don't have to pay the big bucks it's worth it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #4

EGR (exhaust gas recirc)failure is common. Let me see if I can get this right...
It seems that casting sand and other particulates left in the oil cooler during manufacturing can cause a blown EGR cooler. This particulate in the coolant side of the oil cooler restricts the flow of coolant to the EGR cooler which can lead to a flash boil in the EGR cooler due to the extreme temps from the exhaust. This destroys the EGR cooler and can also lead to even worse issues. One of which I believe is hydrolocking a cylinder.
One way to tell if you have restricion in the oil cooler is the difference in oil temp vs. coolant temp.
A common symptom is coolant puking from the under hood degas bottle and/or white smoke from the tailpipe.
There are options to remidy this. Coolant filters, driving style, and EGR delete kits.
There is also an EGR valve that has issues once it becomes gunked up. (from what I have read.)
There is a bunch of info on www.thedieselstop.com
I am getting a coolant filter system soon.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

You just nailed it but black smoke is common as well as a loss of low end power. Carbon build up is also a problem within the manifold I've been told. EGR is a California special not to say its unique to Ca. But we must have clean air vehicles in our little state. Reminds me of the smog pump. I probably puked out more particulates in one day than what the system is designed to keep from going into the air. OK maybe not but I agree with your views for sure.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #6

Can't remember if this was talked about before, but there is an extended warranty from Ford called Diesel Engine Care Plus. It covers the engine only for seven years and/or 200k miles. Check here for the two plans.

http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Content ... EngineCARE

$0 Ded, roadside assistance, etc.
Might be a good deal. Thots anyone???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #7

I looked into that plan, although I haven't pulled the trigger yet. You are basically getting 2 extra years / 100k extra miles added to the warranty that comes standard from Ford.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #8

Yeah, and all that for about $2,000!?!?!? I know repairs are expensive, but that's $1k a year. I need to reread my standard 5/50 on the engine, but the extended also covers road service and few other things that I think expire at 3/36. Not too worried about that part though.
I'm at 33.6k miles so have to decide pretty quick.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

That's what I'll go for sometime next year unless there is something better out there. The EGR cooler and manifold cleanup job that was done last month on my rig would have cost as much as the warranty. I wonder about other non-Ford warrantees I've seen on TV and what not. With some of those plans they claim you can take it to any diesel shop including any Ford dealership. If my local Ford dealer was a 5 star repair shop I wouldn't worry but both local dealerships are pretty lame here.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #10

After escalating my complaints through Ford, I got them to comp me on the 7 year / 200,000 mile Diesel Care Plus Extended Warranty. My fear is that 7 years is going to come up very quickly and this engine will keep failing.

Just got my van back from 3+ weeks of R&R at Ford. The Spa treatment included:
- 2 new fan clutches (the first one they put in was bad)
- EGR valve replacement
- Oil cooler replacement
- Turbo tear-down, repair/clean
- New A/C compressor (mine somehow magically got a large hole in it)
- Front wheel bearing pack (overdue maintenance on my part)
- New air filter (Yes, I would normally do this myself, but they said it was so dirty that they wanted to take it out of the equation in their troubleshooting.)
- As a by-product of the above work, coolant replacement and oil change (they charged me for the amsoil though)

So .... what wasn't covered:
- A/C compressor to the tune of $1872. (OUCH!)
- Front wheel bearing pack $360. (I won't be lazy next time and just do it myself)
- Amsoil (We'll just say they marked it up a lot.)

The end result is an engine that is much more spirited than it has ever been and A/C blowing colder than it ever has.

I'd hate to think what all the other work would have cost if not covered by warranty.

Other items that have been covered by warranty for me:
- HPOP (failure of this left me stranded)
- oil leak from the bed plate (required an engine removal)
- Shorted wiring harness (at least this one happened in my driveway)
- blown high pressure turbo hose

I think Ford may be better off just shipping a replacement diesel engine with each diesel vehicle! Short of a total turbo failure, I think I've had all of the common diesel failures.

Lesson of this story, I'd be very worried if I didn't have the extra 2 years and 100,000 miles of warranty with this diesel.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote