Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #11

Re: Finally got my Amsoil filters...Now which one goes where?

Well, another reason for me to not like the Amsoil system. I used the part #'s that came with my SMB and also did a bunch of research on what and where to buy. And after spending $$$ on a filter that I already installed I find out that it is the wrong one? WTF? I am beyond annoyed with this system...What happens if I try to get 15k out of the EA026? My rig already has 120k on it...I assume the PO didn't use the donaldson. And on top of that...I can't just drive down the road an buy the correct filter. This is stupid...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Site Team

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm at 39K, and am just about to switch over to the other filter number. I will also have an oil analysis done and will post those results here.

As i understand it, the "Amsoil" system that SMB uses, utilizes Amsoil parts and filters, but it is different that the Bypass filter system offered directly by Amsoil, so part number searches on Amsoil sites will not come up with the correct full flow filter number. Jim Fleschner designed the dual filter system for SMB and he's the one recommending the Donaldson filter over the EA026.

If I recall correctly though, you have a 7.3L engine? I would doublecheck with Jim to make sure the same filters apply. His number is posted in the other thread I referenced.

Herb
Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #13

Thanks Herb...You are correct, I have the 7.3, which I am beginning to love the more I drive and read about it. It's a monster. Anyway, I used the part #'s that came with my SMB. Actually they are the old part #'s (SDF-26 & BE-100) but when they are cross referenced with the new filters they come back EA026 & EABP100. I'm just a little T.O.ed that after reading a bunch about the system I still got the wrong parts.

But how restrictive is the SDF-26? Do you know what its Micron rating is? I'm looking on line for the micron rating for the 26 and the Donaldson and haven't turned up anything...
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #14

Funny, but this is the letter that SMB sent me after I bought my van. This letter, written by Jim, states to use the Eao-26. I guess something changed along the way. I've always used the Eao-26 based on this letter. Guess I'll switch to the Donaldson.
Attached Thumbnails
Amsoil.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #15

Okay...I can't find the micron rating of Donaldson P-series lube filters but the Wix equivalent to the Donaldson P553411 is Wix 51411 and is a 24 micron filter.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/ ... No=p553411

The Napa equivalent of the Donaldson P553411 is Napa Gold 1411 and is rated at 24 microns as well.

http://www.globalfleetfiltration.com/31 ... ilter.html

According to this website the EAO26 is a 15 micron filter.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/dualbypass.htm

So yes it is a little more restrictive. Is this enough to warrant a swap between the two?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #16

I have a letter very similar to that as well. This is why I am so confused. Maybe the research and development of the last 9 years determined that the EA026 was the wrong filter to use in this application?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
I have a letter very similar to that as well. This is why I am so confused. Maybe the research and development of the last 9 years determined that the EA026 was the wrong filter to use in this application?
I assume the same thing. I got the same letter with my SMB when it was net and also used the EAO-26 for the first 15k. Then at Jim's suggestion, I switched to the Donaldson. Very unlikely that the EAO-26 is 'bad'. But some analysis probably suggested that a filter with a bit more flow, the Donaldson, worked better on this setup.
R
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage

The main issue is if the dual system meets or exceeds the stock Ford filter. AMSOIL still recommends the 26 filter but Jim is trying to improve the dual system hence removing the restrictor, the Donaldson, etc. My only issue is that I thought AMSOIL has some kind of guarantee concerning the use of their product and engine failure. If it's not truly their product (the dual system) what happens if there is an engine failure? Who's responsible? If Ford claims the failure is due to the dual system will AMSOIL back it up? SMB? I still have faith in the dual filtration system and Jim does a lot of work with long haul diesel rigs with great success from what I gather. I also used the 26 filter for about 24K. I would be more worried if I lived in a colder climate using the 26 but even then I don't see a problem (I think ). If I remember correctly synthetic oil was developed for use in extreme cold conditions and AMSOIL was one of the first. I don't know whether it's better than other synthetics but even with the higher cost, I'll continue to use it. Veg your engine is over 100K so you probably don't have warrantee issues like some of us. BTW my local parts store carries all the products for only slightly more than what I can order direct from AMSOIL including the Donaldson. Oh, I think the filters will only go on one way. Make sure you apply oil to the seal and tighten the filters a little more than stock filters or check them after a few runs. On your first change from standard oil to AMSOIL it was recommended to use the engine cleaner first. Good luck.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #19

Do you have a part number or link to the engine cleaner?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

I just tore the room apart looking for the invoice and can't find it. Maybe Jim will pick up his phone. If I find it I'll post it. It's an AMSOIL product that you run in the old oil for 10 min before draining it. Give Jim a call.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote