Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #21

Re: Finally got my Amsoil filters...Now which one goes where?

Thanks Dave...So you run it in the oil before you do a complete drain? Or just before you swap out the filters? I'm game, might do me good on my next change. I'm south bound (Baja) in a few days so maybe next time I do the oil change I'll use it.

As for the filter deal. I think I'm over it...I'm just going to go with the 26 for now and next swap I'll use the Donaldson. I've got some spare filters I can use for back up if I need them down south...

Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #22

The Amsoil engine flush (cleaner) and info can be found here.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx
Have fun down here in Baja

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Part number AEFCN. one 16 oz bottle is $4.70-$6.35

I think we added 3 bottles to my 6.0 PSD. Here is the description for the AMSOIL engine flush.
Cleans the crankcase, upper end and other lubricated engine areas for maximum efficiency and preformance. Preps engines for the installation of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil. Flushing requires one can per 5 quarts of sump capacity.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
Thanks Dave...So you run it in the oil before you do a complete drain? Or just before you swap out the filters? I'm game, might do me good on my next change. I'm south bound (Baja) in a few days so maybe next time I do the oil change I'll use it.

As for the filter deal. I think I'm over it...I'm just going to go with the 26 for now and next swap I'll use the Donaldson. I've got some spare filters I can use for back up if I need them down south...
Yes for a few min before the change and when going from standard oil to AMSOIL. I didn't use it on my first change (no one told me) so I did it on the next. Both were complete oil changes due to my Ford warrentee on the engine. Seems Jim said to use it within a specific period down the road but you need to check with him when/if it's needed after the switch in oils. Never use it on filter change only oil maintenance. Running it in the engine for long periods can destroy your motor. Also they suggest you remove enough oil to keep the level at the proper spot on the stick. You'll have to lower the oil level a bit before adding the cleaner.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #25

Since this topic seems to have developed a perpetual life of its own, let me keep it going regarding the engine flush. When I converted my 2002 7.3L to the dual filtration Amsoil system a few years ago, Amsoil Jim told me to use only ONE can of engine flush because there was some concern that too much might stay in the turbo and cause problems. Seemed like good advice given the nature of turbos to get sick with little provocation. I don't know if later models of the Ford engine can accommodate more flush or if the concern is no longer there. Maybe Jim can weigh in on this question or anyone with concern can call him.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #26

Thanks for the heads up whitewhale...If I decide to do an engine flush next time I'll definitely look into it a little more...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Jim also says to run the engine for a limited amount of time so the oil will not burn you. I have a shop at my convenience; I get it as hot as I can and let it drain fully. Just me.