Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Not to drag this already great thread too far afield but the Milwaukee 2754 3/8" impact arrived as promised--first duty right out of the box was removing one of the 7/8" lug nuts on my E250 EB cargo van---made very short work of that task.

Next test will be to assure lugs are torqued to 140 ft/lbs and see if this tool still does the job; will also see how many lugs a single fully charged M18 battery can remove and re-install.

I'll also see how small a space this impact really needs---could be a must have tool for many of us to carry daily.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #12

I have the Milwaukee 1/2" Impact and a Milwaukee 3/8" ratchet. Both are very handy. The ratchet goes in my trip tool back every time. The 1/2" Impact is a beast.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #13

Garage
Picked the van up today. This is my closing post on this but take note! There is a harness going to the engine from the main harness in our 6.0 vans. Under the master cylinder is a plug. My plug had the lock clips broken off likely during the previous engine replacement. The first time I went to pick up the van I left my laptop with Rob and he called me a block away to return. Van died as I pulled back into his shop. He was pretty mortified I might add. He immediately went to the harness. As he grabbed the harness the motor would die and start. His experience was that these wiring harnesses can have issues and are NLA. The plug I mentioned is NLA and it redundant since you can unplug all points after this plug down on the engine. He cut it out and soldered and shrunk wrapped the wires back together. Obviously this is a permanent fix and he repeated that this was not the first time he saw this. Note to us when stranded: our first diagnosis may be off. This again was a great free and safe education for a much more remote breakdown repair. I know the 6.0 has a bad/terrible wrap and I sold a quadvan low mileage 7.3 to get this but after spending some time with a very qualified and honest mechanic of these I am back to head in the sand optimism. Seriously though he has worked on hundreds of 6.0 trucks and multiple 6.0 sportsmobiles and made feel like it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out. Just my 2 cents and post stranding justification. LOL
Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Glad this is all sorted out now---thanks for sharing your experiences too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #15

I apologize but I'm running behind on the conversation. I was off grid for a week to complete a job including getting a vehicle from CA to CO and yes it was all legal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Van is fixed. It was simple. ICP had "started" to fail. Van started right up the next morning. Rob at fleet service said he kinda spaced mentioning pouring cold water on it. I did not know you could do that but apparently when they get hot they stop working until they cool down. Rob also said there is a jacket and shield he puts on them to keep the heat off.
Brad
I have not heard of the ICP failing intermittently due to heat. Kind of a similar behavior to the infamous "hot no start" the HPOP system can do. I was under the impression when the ICP fails its just a no start until replacement. I would definitely try the cool it with water trick first as it's cheap and easy.

Quote:
Picked the van up today.There is a harness going to the engine from the main harness in our 6.0 vans. Under the master cylinder is a plug. My plug had the lock clips broken off likely during the previous engine replacement. LOL
So was the ICP failing and the plug was loose or was the plug the main problem all along?

One of several pet peeves I have with other mechanics is the breaking of plugs or the retention devices on plugs. As well as not reinstalling wire management, heat shields, ground straps, I'll stop before I get cranky. It's just sloppy work. Good mechanics can at times do sloppy work.

I was hoping you could clarify if it was the ICP and plug issue or just the plug. Thank you for following up.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Shuttle Pilot, on another note I need to thank you again for the sulastic shackle and deaver spring recommendations. My van rides so amazing after that upgrade. Thought you would like to know.

Funny you mentioned that. I have an issue with the Sulastics failing and have recently removed them. Short story is the rubber is tearing and the shackle is resting on the bottom of its range of movement. I'll be updating that thread soon as well.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote