Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Re: First engine rebuild fail...

Yodavan I would first insure the compatibility of the non OEM parts to work in conjunction with your particular engine . If that checks out then i would assume the crank / cam timing was initially set incorrectly. How To Degree A Cam... https://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/H ... eACam.aspx check piston to valve clearance. http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/e ... clearance/ Another thing to consider is Thermal Expansion , while your engine was cold it could be turned buy hand but after reaching operating temperature tolerances decreased ...One more thing AUTOZONE has a tool loan program if you don't want to buy a valve spring compressor . http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.js ... oan-a-tool

Old 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

If the valve keeper didn't pop out from faulty installation (I've actually never seen that...) or something else obvious, I would suspect the cam timing. Putting in the lifters without soaking them would start out with the valves traveling less until the lifters pumped up so it's unlikely that was the cause.

If your aggressive cam is causing valve float, you'll probably have way more problems moving forward...like when the engine kicks down to passing gear on hills.

Are these engines interference engines? If not it would point to cam timing.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #13

An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into. By contrast, a non-interference engine is one where the piston does not travel into any area into which the valves open.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

FWIW the only time I've personally seen a push rod that bent was on a Ford 428 motor with timing chain having slipped a few teeth.

I'm gonna stick with the crank is not properly aligned with the cam due it not being installed at the zero offset.

We all learn like this and I'm really, really hoping your lesson ends here without much more "tuition" paid to the school of hard knocks.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

If the failure resulted in a small ding in the top of the piston and a bent valve and pushrod, that's not too bad, it could've been worse.

Here are a few pics of my KTM 250 when the timing chain tensioner failed:

It only took about 10 milliseconds to destroy the valves, head, cylinder, piston and connecting rod.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #16

JWA quote "We all learn like this and I'm really, really hoping your lesson ends here without much more "tuition" paid to the school of hard knocks." Well said...
Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

If cam timing were the problem, there would be 8 valves making the same contact - they are all equal.

Intake valve contact would only happen at or approaching TDC on the compression stroke and the valve should be closed well ahead of that. Cam couldn't have been off enough degrees or it wouldn't have started easily as the intakes would have been open on the compression stroke, might even have been back firing through the intake.

A pushrod that bent would be because it tried to open a valve that was stuck, not because the valve was pushed closed by piston contact.

My guess would be that the valve hung up in the valve guide, which was (and still would be) too tight, or was not lubricated well enough. When you were running it at higher RPM it was moving freely but building heat and then when you dropped the RPM the valve stuck in the guide, contacted the piston, bent and was now really stuck in the guide and then the pushrod bent when it tried to open the stuck valve.

I would pull all of my valves and check the guides for size and look for signs of tight guides. Stick a good valve in the guide of the bent valve and see if it is free moving.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #18

Ya we have nice weather here this weekend so I'll pull the other head and inspect it and also the water pump and timing cover. Start by making certain the cam is properly set with the degree wheel. Pull the valve out and try sliding another valve in its place to check for it binding up. Let you know how far I get.

Thanks for the help!
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Best advice I've seen here was from BajaSportsmobile.
daytona323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
If the failure resulted in a small ding in the top of the piston and a bent valve and pushrod, that's not too bad, it could've been worse.

Here are a few pics of my KTM 250 when the timing chain tensioner failed:

It only took about 10 milliseconds to destroy the valves, head, cylinder, piston and connecting rod.......

Wow what a mess Sure glad I just changed the timing belt in my daughters Honda.
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote