Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

Ford 2010 Diesel or Gas

Need some help.....we are finalize financing & sig this week for our van which is scheduled to go into production month end. We opted for the Ford 6.0L Diesel several months ago as it was the last one available. Most recently we have heard from a variety of sources that this engine has issues?! Can anyone make me feel good about the 2010 year engine? In particular, have the earlier model engine problems; turbo, ERG etc been resolved by Ford? I asked SMB to make us comfortable with selecting the diesel and was directed here. Thanks mcksurf9

mcksurf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Ford 2010 Diesel or Gas

A sign of the apocalypse!?!

Sportsmobile referring people here? Must be because they already have your money. Just kidding. It's great that SMB is sending people here, probably because we'll talk you into spending more money on options.

I've an '06 diesel (6.0L) and have had two minor problems both corrected under Ford warranty. I don't have one and haven't really followed it, but I believe the 6.4L is even more reliable. I will say diesels can require a bit more attention that a gasser (minor warm up, cool down, fuel additive).

Herb
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #3

There is a lot of info here on the forum. Just do some searches and you will learn a lot about the 6.0 PSD.

I have the V10 (6.8L) and have been very happy.

But it is all personal preference.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #4

I can tell you why I decided not to go Diesel route as I recently purchased used. Take it as you will as these are my personal reasons. I actually started out only looking at the diesel engine and refused to even consider the V-10 until I started doing web research on them.

One of the biggest hurdles for me was the bed plate gasket leak and some of the drive shaft seals leaking. Everyone that has had that problem so far has got them fixed under warranty but the warranty will run out on some 2006 and older vehicles. You can extend the warranty but that only buys you a little more time. Some folks have had the bed plate gasket fix done to their vehicles several times... meaning just once doesn't necessarily fix the problem. There is no permanent fix for this yet.

Why am I worried about the bed plate gasket.... simple it is a huge procedure that requires them to pull the entire motor to fix it. If it wasn't covered under warranty it would be a 7k out of pocket fix. The drive shaft seals are less $$ but equally important as the diesel is an oil run engine so leaks should be taken seriously so as not to cause further problems.

Also the EGR valves (minor) and some coolant issues as well as the diesel noise was an easy decision for me to look for used V-10's. The V-10 had some early problems with spark plugs and threads but those were all fixed in 2003. The V-10 is a fairly easy, reliable engine to use and has been tested and proven in numerous applications. It is an oil change and go type engine without too much maintenance issues to deal with.

Also I have found with the V-10 I get consistently around 11-13 mpg in all conditions and loads. Check out the diesel mpg under the search button and you will find they are not that much different in numbers.

Not to discourage you from your decision but these are the reasons why I chose the V-10. You can do the research and make up your own mind. Also your engine may never have the above problems ever.... I always use worst case maintenance scenario in my decision making.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

If I were you, I’d buy the 200,000 diesel care mile warranty.

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Driveshaft seals? The driveshaft has nothing to do with the engine. Are you talking about crankshaft seals?

Herb
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Driveshaft seals? The driveshaft has nothing to do with the engine. Are you talking about crankshaft seals?

Herb
Yes.... I meant the rear main crankshaft seal which seems to be a common leak point for the diesel engines.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #8

The 6.0L does have a bad reputaion and it's mostly in the trucks. Ours are detuned to IH specs. The 6.0L is a great engine and a few things can be done to help ensure a bit more reliability.
1) Don't idle for long periods
2) Religiously change fuel and oil filters with Ford or Racor filters at recommended intervals
3) Install a coolant filtration system
4) Drive the van and put it through it's paces every 6-10 days to prevent turbo vanes sticking( I don't think newer models have the unison ring problem though).
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

Appreciate everyone's comments....thanks

We am good with reg maintenance and some extra care with a diesel. We have heard on several occasions not to idle for long periods... We also have the flat plate exchanger for hot water so what is long; 10 or 15 min or 30+?
mcksurf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #10

This site may make you feel better:

http://powerstrokehelp.com/

I watched most of the videos on the 6.0 before I made the decision to go with it. Too new to know if I made a good call or not...