Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Ford 5.8L Oil Change E250 - Valdez Disaster

Hi, I finally got around to changing the oil on my 5.8L (1994). I've done dozens of oil changes on a variety of vehicles but this seems like a pretty poor design which results in a huge mess if not careful. Fortunately I had a large oil pan and lots of newspaper in anticipation of any problems.

Draining the pan is no prob. However, the filter is a bit of a bear. It is at an angle and behind a part of the frame so that you can't directly access it and pull it down. When you unscrew it, it partially drains at the angle that it sits.

Any tips on changing oil that would make it cleaner? I saw there are filter relocation kits but for an infrequent task, may not be called for.

Here is what I will do next time: drain pan first with engine hot. Wait 30 min for oil in filter to cool. Line the frame directly under the filter with a bunch of newspaper. Remove filter with slightly cooler oil. Place the pan directly under filter but also keep the working floor very well covered with newspaper.

SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
Hi, I finally got around to changing the oil on my 5.8L (1994). I've done dozens of oil changes on a variety of vehicles but this seems like a pretty poor design which results in a huge mess if not careful. Fortunately I had a large oil pan and lots of newspaper in anticipation of any problems.

Draining the pan is no prob. However, the filter is a bit of a bear. It is at an angle and behind a part of the frame so that you can't directly access it and pull it down. When you unscrew it, it partially drains at the angle that it sits.

Any tips on changing oil that would make it cleaner? I saw there are filter relocation kits but for an infrequent task, may not be called for.

Here is what I will do next time: drain pan first with engine hot. Wait 30 min for oil in filter to cool. Line the frame directly under the filter with a bunch of newspaper. Remove filter with slightly cooler oil. Place the pan directly under filter but also keep the working floor very well covered with newspaper.
Ford Quik-Lube. Let them deal with it while your in the waiting room watchin TV and drinkin coffee.
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
...Draining the pan is no prob. However, the filter is a bit of a bear. It is at an angle and behind a part of the frame so that you can't directly access it and pull it down. When you unscrew it, it partially drains at the angle that it sits....

Had just the same issue on my Crown Vic 4.6L this weekend. Terrible for removing a filter full of oil, terrible to reinstall a new filter with at least some level of oil in it.

Herb
Old 02-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

Beastie Boy - you're right about that. I do stuff I can both for zen and past bad experiences trusting "techs". I did pay for shock replacement recently so it's not impossible :-) One of the articles I read recently said that having others do your routine or drudgery stuff is one of the keys to happiness. I think I am starting to agree.

Herb, I can appreciate that immensely. As an olive branch, here's a video that supposedly has a tutorial about doing an oil change but I'll be darned if I can notice an oil change going on.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
SMB perhaps you might consider and oil filter relocation kit? There are tons of those out there along with parts from which you could assemble your own kit. Hoses to and from the original filter spot.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

I did my first HD Sportster oil change a couple years ago, I thought the same thing "What a POS design!"

Then someone sent me a link to this cool little filter funnel device!

https://www.amazon.com/Drip-Free-Fil...20347617&psc=1
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #7

All I can tell you is don't buy a Transit! Things have not improved.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #8

Well multi-quote is being a bear.

I've had 4 HDs and yes, it's also a disaster waiting to happen if not prepared. I think I settled on a strategically cut soda bottle and it works well. I'm going to try a gallon milk jug next time to see if that slides in on the Ferd.

I've considered the relo - if the solid one that is a bolt on worked (available at racing shops) - I'd probably go for that but I get nervous with additional lines. Probably unnecessarily. It's an infrequent enough job anyway.

I'm seeing a trend with Ford. My Dodge diesel is clean as a whistle in changing the oil. Completely vertical filter drop and the only spillage is completely my fault. It's been a while since I did Chevys but at least what I recall, the filter wasn't blocked by a load bearing structure! The "user experience" seems not to have been considered strongly.

Still easier than this, though I would probably try to do it myself then bark about how difficult it is on the Bugatti forum.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
Site Team

Two things that have been somewhat successful are using foil sheets to line the area underneath the filter (in order to prevent oil from finding every nook and cranny of the undercarriage) and placing a Ziploc bag around the oil filter once its loosened to attempt to seal up the filter/oil before removing it.

Herb
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
One option I've heard of people using, but never tried, is to punch a hole in the filter and let the oil drain into a pan before removing it. Having had a lot of vehicles with extremely badly placed oil filters (including a Vanagon where it was mounted UPSIDE DOWN) I usually just anticipate the mess and try to catch the oil.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but these days I don't generally worry about pre-filling the filter. I used to do it, but I didn't see any noticeable difference in how long it took oil pressure to come up compared to leaving it dry. The volume isn't that much compared to what the oil pump puts out.