Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #1

Ford 6.0 Diesel. Is it truly a nightmare?

I am looking into buying a 2005 Sportsmobile with a 6.0 Diesel engine. The one I am looking at purchasing had the turbo and short block replaced at 17,000 miles (under warranty) because of a factory defect (a leak from a warped block). I was told from a technician to stay away from the 6.0, they apparently have lots of problems. Any feedback on this? Have you guys experienced a lot of problems with them?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

From my purely unscientific "research" the '03 and '04 were the most problematic years for the 6.0L. Of course, many are problem free, and some later years have had problems too.

For in depth info, check out TheDieselStop.com. Of course, many people there (primarily F-series trucks) have hopped up their engines, which many believe is the source of the bad reputation. Also keep in mind that many people only post if they have problems. If you find an older SMB with the 7.3L, that's a great engine.

FYI, I have an '06, and had the turbo replaced under warranty right after I bought the SMB. That was about 10-12,000 miles ago, and no problems since.

Herb
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
No problems with mine so far at 34K. I make sure I let the turbo cool before shutdown, pull over regularly on steep grades to let it cool, warm it up before hitting the road in colder weather, use AMSOIL, and avoid frequent short runs where the motor will never reach full operating temperature. I also throw salt over my shoulder, knock on wood whenever possible and carry a rabbits foot.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

Same here, 18,000 miles on the 6LPSD with no problems so far. We use the Sporty for long trips (50 miles plus) and don't drive it as an around town vehicle. Always make sure to turn Overdrive OFF when climbing hills and use Amsoil diesel additive and kick the tires and it works fine.

Hey marchesi, where are you in Montana? We are off to the Missoula Farmers Market this Saturday so if you want to see an SMB we will be out and about in western Montana.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #5

You can do a search on some of my posts with problems I have had. Never a turbo problem, but certainly a few others. Having said that though, I just finished a 8200 mile trip to Alaska and the van ran fine. Never missed a beat.

I am hoping that all or most of my problems are behind me. Given that yours has been short blocked, the common leak between the bed plate and the block has hopefully already been taken care of.

Mine is also a 2005.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #6

Thanks for all the good info! Yes, from my research looks like the 6.0 after 2005 seem to be fine. I'll give it a shot and try my luck with this 2005. Maybe try the salt over the shoulder as Dave recommends...
Ed, I am in Bozeman, will you be driving by? I booked a flight to L.A. (to pick up the van) on the 26th.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #7

I too have had similar concerns I brought up in another post. The FD I work for has 3 2005 ambulances with the 6.0L. They all have had significant problems and have left our crews stranded, with patients many miles from our district. The most reliable ambulances we have are the 2 older 7.3L diesels.
I still will be getting a SMB and most likely a diesel but I can't help but worry about reliability.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #8

56,000+ trouble free miles on my 2005.

I'm very happy with it and this is my first diesel.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
I too have had similar concerns I brought up in another post. The FD I work for has 3 2005 ambulances with the 6.0L. They all have had significant problems and have left our crews stranded, with patients many miles from our district. The most reliable ambulances we have are the 2 older 7.3L diesels.
I still will be getting a SMB and most likely a diesel but I can't help but worry about reliability.
Ambulance duty is very hard on the 6.0's. Extended idling, short trips, heavy throttle use.

My SMB is driven every week, never less than 20 miles, it never idles for longer than a stoplight and the engine has been reasonably trouble free. We had a couple of injectors fail early while in Canada using ULSD. And only a turbo since - and the turbo had been throwing codes since it was new.

I would think a used 6.0 with the bugs already out shoudl give good service. Avoid idling and short trips.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

Very true, the ambulances are driven hard and often idle for hours on some scenes. I know I would never want a used ambulance from a city department for an expo rig. We drive the crap out of those things.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote