Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Ford 7 year/200K Diesel Engine Care Plus

Hello All,

I am writing this post trying to find out if anyone has used there 7 year/200K, Diesel Engine Care Plus, Extended Service Plan for replacing the bed plate gasket and or the rear seal?

On June 23rd I took my SMB in to my local Ford dealer and it was diagnosed to have a leaking bed plate gasket and rear seal.

I would like to know if anyone has had problems with Ford honoring the Extended Service Plan for this diagnosis.

Thanks in advance.
Woody

Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

Garage
Woodbee,

I had the extended warranty and had my bed plate gasket replaced. They found the leak in early summer several years ago but it wasn't too bad so we decided to let it go. I told them I had the extended warranty and they said to bring it in before it ran out and they would look at the leak again to see if it had gotten worse. The following December, about 7 months later, just before the warranty was up, they replaced it under warranty with no issues. They charged me a little extra to remove the Aluminess bumper because it wasn't stock though. Other than that, it didn't cost me anything for the bed plate gasket replacement.
I also had several other things done while they had the engine out and some of that work was on my own dime.

They treated me well and I've had no issues since.

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

I had mine done twice under warranty without issue. Luckily second time was a charm!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I had no issues with Ford paying any of the dealerships for the work. One thing to consider is not all dealerships have great service. Having my van not even make it out of the parking lot after replacing the bed plate gasket didn't make me feel too good. A few weeks later they got the engine right but let my van sit out where some low life's stripped and vandalized it. The dealership refused to pay for anything even my own deductible. I guess some don't carry insurance to cover your vehicle when it's in their possession. I felt better knowing this dealership in Fresno dealt with SMB's for warranty work but it didn't work out for me on that visit. They went out of business... wonder why? I think most do a good job though. I just fear places that leave your van sitting out in a huge parking lot.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses, I am suppose to get my SMB back tomorrow or the first of next week. I will do a more detailed post when that happens.

Thanks again,
Woody
Old 07-08-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
. A few weeks later they got the engine right but let my van sit out where some low life's stripped and vandalized it. The dealership refused to pay for anything even my own deductible. I guess some don't carry insurance to cover your vehicle when it's in their possession..... I just fear places that leave your van sitting out in a huge parking lot.
Having once owned a body shop complete with outdoor unsecured parking in a somewhat rural area I was liable for most any vandalism and/or loss once the vehicle has come under my possession regardless where it sat. The "under my possession" was defined as officially at the shop for repairs---if customer dropped it off and I had the keys it was my responsibility until returned to the customer.

Should anything like Dave's experience with considerable loss occur I'd look for financial remedy from the shop/dealership no matter how much they protest----should be an easy to win pre-court negotiation.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

MKRyan, pjpvi, daveb, JWA,

Thanks again for your responses.

I finally got my SMB back last Friday, 7/8 and no charge to me at all, even the removal of the front bumper and winch. I took it out for a 40 mile drive up 101 at highway speed and no sign of leakage when I got home.

It was in the dealership for two weeks, the main reason for the delay for the first week was due to the paper work when I first signed up for the "Diesel EngineCARE Plus" 7 year/200000 mile Extended Service Plan. My paper work showed just that, but the paper work that went back to the insurance company from Towne Ford showed "Diesel EngineCARE" not Plus. So that is why Ford turned me down for the repairs.
I called Jay Minto at Towne Ford and in a couple of days everything was all good and Ford started the work.

I am sure it was just someone checked the wrong box on the paper work going back to the insurance company.

Those that have this coverage, you might want check with Ford and make sure you have The "Plus" and not just the "Care". It might save you a week sitting in the shop trying the get things resolved.

This insurance has saved me a lot of money. I paid $2555 for the insurance in 2010, I had the oil cooler (this was covered by just the "Diesel EngineCARE" and didn't need the"Plus" so no red flags came up)go bad in 2014 in Kansas, $3000 and now $4100.

Thanks again all,
Woody
Old 07-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Glad this has worked out----good advice about checking coverage. In fact that's great advice for any insurance coverage for anything---know what you've bought, what it does and does NOT cover!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote