Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

Ford e 350 5.4 v8 question:

Ford e 350 5.4 v8 question: guys maybe you can help me my 03 ford 4x4 van has a hellasious chatter when starting for the first time in morning. i just did an oil change with mobile 1 10w30 and new filter , i also added the lucas oil treatment it bost that it will end no oil chatter when first starting. well it did it a bit before the oil change now it does it a bit longer with start up and lucas. what can be causing this??? how do i stop it? any help would be great thanks.

mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Re: Ford e 350 5.4 v8 question:

If I understand you, when first started the engine makes a lot of noise, then the noise goes away. And, if the engine is restarted later it doesn't make the noise. The noise is from the engine, not from the starter motor.

Does that sound right? Or did I miss something?

Where are you located? Could somebody come by and hear the sound?

If my understanding right, it sounds like the oil is draining out of the engine while it sits overnight. Could you have the wrong oil filter without an anti-drainback valve? Or a filter with a defective anti-drainback valve. Or maybe a wornout smog pump that rattles until it warms up. Or???

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

hi, i live in new jersey. yes it is chatter from no oil, once it warms up it goes away. it made the noise even with the old oil filter, i thought that might be it so i bought the top line fram and it does it even longer now then goes away.
mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

The drain back valve in the oil filter may either be non-existant or bad. This valve keeps most of your oil from draing back into the oil pan when you shut it off. On start start up you are waiting for the oil to pump all the way thru the system. Swap your filter. Moble One and K&N filters are good. Your engine is also aluminium and every little tick and noise will seem louder than the old iron engines of days past.

While I'm at it....Ford calls 5w20 oil. 5W anything is so thin that it cant suspend very thick particles in it's thin film thickness. They only use it because it helps satisfy Uncle Sams gas milage concerens a little bit. Dirt and carbon not suspended will grind away at your moving parts and lead to noise. Try and convince your average Joe that Ford calling for 5w is wrong and you can't so the next best thing is to have them use a K&N or Mobil One oil filter. They both use the same synthetic filter material that will remove more of the small stuff that eats away your engine. Don't belive they are better???? Put one on at your next oil change and see how long you can drive with the oil remaining clear. Those filters and 10w30 are what everybody needs on a gas engine as soon as warrenty is up. Ford has been known to call for an oil sample to dis credit warrenty claims.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #5

Oil is too thick. And the Lucas is making it even thicker. Switch to 5w20 and the noise will proabbly go away.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Oil is too thick. And the Lucas is making it even thicker. Switch to 5w20 and the noise will proabbly go away.
X2. Also, how many miles ? You could have some clogged oil passages inside engine. If you have a lot of miles on it, are not the original owner, there is prob no way of knowing what oil they used or how often it was changed. The engine may need to be flushed to clean out all the oil passages.