Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #1

Ford E-350 7.3l oil pan

So yesterday I found a bit of oil under the van and traced it to seepage from the oil pan gasket. Today I went about getting it fixed. My regular mechanic couldn't do it, didn't have the right tools. (I only take it to a diesel shop when absolutely necessary.) Both an independent shop and the Ford agency quoted me 15hrs and $3K to change it! What's the deal?

How has oil pan technology 'improved' in the last 50 years since I did it myself on my old '46 Chevy PU? It took my about 4 hours and $10 in parts and I didn't even know what I was doing.

I guess for now I'll just travel with a case of oil in the back and check it every morning. It's mid operating range now but I don't know how fast it's dropping. Not too fast because it doesn't leave a drop if it stands idling for a few minutes on clean ground.

Bottom line: Can any of you 7.3l experts enlighten me about the 15hrs, $3K?

Old 04-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #2

From what I remember, the official way to replace the oil pan gasket involves removing the engine and flipping it upside down so as to prevent oil contamination with the new gasket sealant.
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:21 PM   #3

Don't know about the vans, but according to findings online, the engine has to be pulled out or both the cab and engine have to be lifted 8" to get the pan off. Looks like a major PITA!
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I found out that there's a beam under it and the engine has to come out the front. I had thought I was looking at a $100-$200 job.

I'm just going to keep checking and adding oil as necessary for now.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
Both an independent shop and the Ford agency quoted me 15hrs and $3K to change it! What's the deal?
That incredible (actually several other choice words come to mind). If I were in your shoes I'd throw another $12K at the project and replace the engine with a rebuild - completely reconditioned, warranty, and you get a new gasket!
Old 04-11-2023, 04:55 PM   #6

I'm with you TwoXentrix ! Just another reason why I went with a gas engine !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team

JB Weld?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:55 PM   #8

Did you try checking the pan bolts for tightness? Also, the 7.3s are notorious for leaking on top of the motor, running down the back and look like a rear main seal or rear pan leak. Just a fyi.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:56 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ford E-350 7.3l oil pan

Yes, a common leak is also from the HPOP, and it will travel down the valley. You’ll need to pull air box and move hose pieces and parts out of the way to get a good look, you might have a better view by pulling the doghouse and going in the back and pulling the resonator box.
Might think about replacing the thermostat while you’re at it, if the HPOP turns out to be the culprit.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #10

Here is a video about Diesel Tech Ron and how he does the oil pan without removing the motor. I have a local shop that does a lot of fleet maintenance especially on 7.3L Ambos, they have a $1200 oil pan replacement/reseal option that they offer. They will also do the whole shebang of pulling the motor too if you want to spend the $$$. My assumption is that they do something similar to what Ron is talking about. Go to 15:58 in the video for the oil pan info, but the whole video is a good one to watch anyway.