Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Ford FICM and PCM Upgrade

I have a 2007, 6 point oh! Reading through a thread someone mentioned that they did the PCM and FICM ford upgrade and they gained about 3 MPG and lower operating temps. Below is the link to the thread, post# 31

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...s-21433-4.html

Does anyone have had the same experience after update? Gaining few more mpgs will be great. How do I know which version of software I have in there? I have SCT Livewire+.

Thanks in advance

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

PCM tuning increases HP by advancing the timing. That increases heat. FICM tuning can also improve turbo lag and throttle response by prolonging the burn but that also increases heat. The FICM has all the control over the injectors. Just my opinion but I'm not sure how tuning either can lower operating temps but I did see that result posted in the thread you linked.

Rather, most make cooling modifications to account for the tuning mainly a bigger, free flowing exhaust (ie., killing the kitty). I have a 40 HP FICM tune and an 80HP PCM tune and my van definitely runs hotter and not vice versa. The only way I can think to keep the temps down other than doing cooling mods would be to have the tune writer have the fan turn on at a lower temp.

You should be able to use the Livewire to download the strategy on your PCM using the OBDII port but I'm only familiar with the SCT X4.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
PCM tuning increases HP by advancing the timing. That increases heat. FICM tuning can also improve turbo lag and throttle response by prolonging the burn but that also increases heat. The FICM has all the control over the injectors. Just my opinion but I'm not sure how tuning either can lower operating temps but I did see that result posted in the thread you linked.

Rather, most make cooling modifications to account for the tuning mainly a bigger, free flowing exhaust (ie., killing the kitty). I have a 40 HP FICM tune and an 80HP PCM tune and my van definitely runs hotter and not vice versa. The only way I can think to keep the temps down other than doing cooling mods would be to have the tune writer have the fan turn on at a lower temp.

You should be able to use the Livewire to download the strategy on your PCM using the OBDII port but I'm only familiar with the SCT X4.
I meant to say, getting a ford factory upgraded tune. I did call sct folks and they said they don't have any stock tunes for vans.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

SCT doesn’t, you have to get a custom tune from one of the reputable tuners and upload it via an SCT unit or other module.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
I meant to say, getting a ford factory upgraded tune. I did call sct folks and they said they don't have any stock tunes for vans.
That then would simply be getting the FICM and PCM reflashed by the dealer. It worked for Twoxentrix but he'd recently put a new motor in and maybe the flash worked better than the older strategy after all the work was done? From reading the diesel forums and in my own experience it generally goes the other way with decreased performance and mileage with the tradeoff being ford tweaked the strategy for reliability. Definitely with regard to the FICM, Ford went through various strategies to improve stiction issues and cold starts with inductive heat strategies, etc some of which burned up FICMs. Around 2009 Ford released a series of PCM and FICM calibrations to save them warranty dollars. The cold start fix was killing FICMs and the trucks had head gasket issues besides the issues with the EGR system.

The FICM is a known weak link with the power supply side known to fail because it is susceptible to heat and vibration. At the very least it's a good idea to have it rebuilt if it's the original unit and if you want to try a different tune I'd send it in to Ed at ficmrepair.com and get his ultra service and he can bench flash it with a proven tune for additional HP. PHP Tunes

The FICM tune will wake up your turbo for sure. Some report better mileage but other's don't. That's safer than a PCM tune because it doesn't increase cylinder head pressures. If you've got headstuds and a bulletproofed motor then a higher HP PCM tune will definitely help with mileage and performance. The tune will also have improved tranny shift points for faster and smoother shifts.

The first thing you need to do is read your current strategy and see what flash is currently in the van if the Livewire can do it. I suspect so since it can also store custom tunes. Then decide if custom tuning is for you. Personally I love it and not so much for the mileage gains (2-3 mph) but for the increased performance and drivability. Or, roll the dice and get a reflash from the dealer but it may not do what you're hoping.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote