Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by achop View Post
JWA, Herb ;-), and Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on a topic I know has been beaten to death in many places (read 'em all, sussed out the credible consensus, and still wasn't certain on a couple points).

Many thanks!
anne
Yanno its almost never a bad thing to re-visit what might be thought of as worn out or beaten-to-death----with new folks arriving on any similar forum it might benefit those still learning about care and feeding of our vehicles. In a best case scenario we'd save them a world of inconvenience and most likely lots and lots of money. Even better we might educate them how to not do damage.

BTW those gently chiding me about "oscilloscopes" I was thinking of the modern day versions that are part of mid- to upper-level diagnostic computers and software, not the CRT & vacuum tube devices most of us seem to remember surprisingly well and often. In fact most of that type device is called a wave form analyzer which is probably more accurate.

Perhaps we're all showing our age(s) just a bit?

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #12

FWIW, I changed all my coils after one of them failed.

It's standard practice for a number of manufacturers to just do them all at that point. The reasoning is that they generally came from the same batch and were subject to the same conditions as the one that failed.

If I was trying to save a bit of money, I'd just change the bad one and carry two spares, and replenish them as needed. But do count that money saved against the extra times you have to pull the doghouse and air box out.

I have an old CRT scope on the tool shelf. I seem to end up using it about every 5 years or so. At this point it might make sense to toss it out to get the space back. And then buy a cheap digital one the next time I need one.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I have an old CRT scope on the tool shelf. I seem to end up using it about every 5 years or so. At this point it might make sense to toss it out to get the space back. And then buy a cheap digital one the next time I need one.
Are you talking about an oscilloscope for general use, or one for automobiles?
If it's a general use one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands, my old Tectronix storage scope bit the dust a few months back..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
FWIW, I changed all my coils after one of them failed.

It's standard practice for a number of manufacturers to just do them all at that point. The reasoning is that they generally came from the same batch and were subject to the same conditions as the one that failed.

If I was trying to save a bit of money, I'd just change the bad one and carry two spares, and replenish them as needed. But do count that money saved against the extra times you have to pull the doghouse and air box out.
good point - reasonable trade-off to consider for me to replace them all at once, but wait for the first failure to do so, ... likely a ways off for me (ohhh - I jinxed myself!)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Are you talking about an oscilloscope for general use, or one for automobiles?
If it's a general use one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands, my old Tectronix storage scope bit the dust a few months back..........
PM sent.

apparently this needs 10 characters to post....

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #16

As I just detailed in a new thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...her-22288.html, immediately upon starting my car after paying for recent spark plug/boot replacement service, my "service engine soon" light came on so I asked the shop to check the codes, and it showed cylinders 4 and 8 misfires. More detail (and follow-up comments probably belong) in the thread above... with the question of whether this might be time to change the coils, or whether replacement of the spark plugs and Boots could be related to those codes showing up, and my coils still might be just fine. Apparently the plugs came out without particular difficulty and had a fine desirable marshmallow glaze, as I was told. (OEM requested, but only know for sure that the spark plugs are Motorcraft). I'll be talking to the shop in the morning, but if you have any insight for me to help with that, I look forward to your thoughts in the other thread above. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #17

You have probably already made your decision about the coils, but thought I would chime in anyhow. I had the dealer replace one coil at 115,000 miles, but within a week the problem recurred. I had them replace the other 9 coils the second time and have had no problems over the last 40,000 miles. Not sure if they replaced the wrong one the first time, or if it was just time for another one to fail.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
You have probably already made your decision about the coils, but thought I would chime in anyhow. I had the dealer replace one coil at 115,000 miles, but within a week the problem recurred. I had them replace the other 9 coils the second time and have had no problems over the last 40,000 miles. Not sure if they replaced the wrong one the first time, or if it was just time for another one to fail.
That's helpful. I think I'll wait for a fail, then replace all.