Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Garage
Fox Shocks 2006 EB Sportsmobile

Hello All:

Is there a difference between the Fox shocks offered by Agile Off Road and the shocks available on the Sportsmobile on-line store? About $100 more through Agile.

Thanks !!

ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #2

Garage
A year before I installed the dual Fox reservoir shocks on my front, I did order and install a full set of the Fox shocks from Sportsmobile.
When these were removed for the dual shock project we found they didnt have enough travel - bushings on both fronts had disintegrated, and showed signs of overextending.
Mine has the Sportsmobile conversion, so either install limiting straps, or I'd consider going with the Agile (be curios now that you've posted this if they actually use a different size).
Old 07-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

Garage
Mine also is a Sportsmobile conversion, it has the original shocks that are due for replacement, curious on your dual shock application.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto fireman View Post
Mine also is a Sportsmobile conversion, it has the original shocks that are due for replacement, curious on your dual shock application.
Dual front Fox reservoir shocks installed - have pictures in my album if you have any interest...3rd page
My Van is pretty heavy and had a tendency to ""bounce (more that I liked) when recovering from rolling through gullies...main concern was at freeway speeds (big dips in the road, lot of times located at the joint area leading up to an overpass or bridge, or coming off the same). This cured the issue altogether.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...wol-page3.html
Old 07-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #5

When I was looking at shock options I checked with John at Agile. On the Agile SMB RIP kit they use:

Front 7.6" Travel shock Loop/Loop 13.95x21.55
Rear 9.6"T (25.65x16.5) or 9.1"T (24.04x14.94)

Both are stem loop and that's if you relocate the shock mount lower on the rear axle. These lengths were not ideal for my rig with Deaver springs and Fox didn't have anything close to the dead lengths that would be long enough for my application. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why.

Either way, the Agile shocks are custom tuned for the RIP and no doubt have a different valving than Fox shocks sourced from SMB. I suspect the latter is just off the shelf without any kind of custom tune.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

In an effort to expand the knowledge base on the Agile Fox shocks. This was back in 2016. John and I talked a few times about size and travel length after I did several measurements. I have an SMB West 4x4 conversion and Deaver springs all around. This is copied from the receipt from John. I have no experience with the SMB shocks but have wondered about what the difference is myself. I'm still very happy with the Agile set up and have no regrets.

FRONT

FOX 985-24-083 7.6Travel 21.55 x 13.95, Fox 2.0 Shock, Custom
tuned by Agile for SMB with Front Deaver, Replacing BS
AK7110SB06

REAR
FOX 986-24-059-0: Agile Off-Road, FOX 2.0 Performance Series
Shock; Custom valved by AO [REAR V4]
9.09 Travel 24.04 x 14.95, Replacing BS AK7108S99

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks all for the replies. Going to go Agile. My rig is heavy, 10k I would guess, front and rear mounted warn winches, rear mounted air compressor and tank. Pretty bouncy going down the freeway, rolls a bit in the turns.

Mike
Old 07-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto fireman View Post
Thanks all for the replies. Going to go Agile. My rig is heavy, 10k I would guess, front and rear mounted warn winches, rear mounted air compressor and tank. Pretty bouncy going down the freeway, rolls a bit in the turns.

Mike
You might have your rig weighed as it would be normally outfitted for an excursion. Have each axle weighed so you know exactly what you have. Any CAT certified scale found at big truck stops will work---I'll bet there's one within 5 miles of your house.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
In an effort to expand the knowledge base on the Agile Fox shocks. This was back in 2016. John and I talked a few times about size and travel length after I did several measurements. I have an SMB West 4x4 conversion and Deaver springs all around. This is copied from the receipt from John. I have no experience with the SMB shocks but have wondered about what the difference is myself. I'm still very happy with the Agile set up and have no regrets.

FRONT

FOX 985-24-083 7.6Travel 21.55 x 13.95, Fox 2.0 Shock, Custom
tuned by Agile for SMB with Front Deaver, Replacing BS
AK7110SB06

REAR
FOX 986-24-059-0: Agile Off-Road, FOX 2.0 Performance Series
Shock; Custom valved by AO [REAR V4]
9.09 Travel 24.04 x 14.95, Replacing BS AK7108S99

- Eric

Are these the shocks you have on your smb conversion with deavers?
I Took my 2009 EB E350 with SMB 4x4 and Deaver Springs down to agile in May. They didn’t have the fronts in stock, but they sold me the rears. Part number was 986-24-058-0 for the rears. Looks to be. 8.1” travel shock. Haven’t installed them bc im waiting for the fronts to arrive. No ETA yet [emoji37]
The guy that helped me said the sportsmobile front fox shocks are exactly the same shock that they agile sells for the front. He suggested I contact SMB to see if they have them in stock. [emoji2369]
Now I’m wondering if the smb fox’s may be too short with the deaver Springs.
Lokoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Greetings Lokoh,

Yes the specs I posted above are what has been on my van since 2016. I copied and pasted from the receipt emails I got from John at Agile back then. To confirm my van is a 2005 SMB west 4x4 conversion with Deaver springs that were installed in 2010.

In 2016 John and I talked on the phone, had me do several measurements of the suspension at full droop and compression to confirm lengths, and take pictures. If I remember right it was just the front he was looking for confirmation. I got the impression that, at the time, he hadn't confirmed that info with a Deaver sprung van. We discovered the Bilstein shocks Deaver installed on the front were long enough to be at the absolute limit of the brake hoses ripping out. The Fox fronts are shorter extended to give a margin of safety for the brake lines.

Also I think it was the front shocks John had to order as he only had the rears in stock in San Diego. Hope this helps.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote