Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Front end noise

I have a noise coming out of what sounds like the front end. Drove against a concrete wall and from the drivers seat it seems louder on the passenger side. It sounds like when I had a idler pulley fail (like lose washers rattling) but only makes the noise as I slow to about 30MPH and it disappears as I stop. I noticed it when the shop rotated my tires and thought it was the hub cover but they seem tight. I'll admit the tires were so cupped it did rattle the front end, but the tires have flattened out and I'm still hearing the noise. It does it on rough or smooth roads and braking or turning has no effect. I've engaged the four wheel drive and no change. I took the van out on a smooth road and took it up to 35MPH, put it in neutral and killed the engine letting the van coast to a stop. Still making the noise as the vehicle slowed. I've strapped down everything on the Aluminess bumper and even checked the front grill. My mechanic can't find anything lose but climbed on my Aluminess ladder as I drove down the road. He said it sounds like the noise is coming from the front end but he's not sure.
Thinking of putting a go-pro camera under the van and move it around to localize the noise. I really don't want to throw money at it while my mechanic tries to figure out what the problem is.

Can a failing wheel bearing make that kind of noise as the vehicle slows? It never doesn't make the sound.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

Garage
You may have read this thread. Sounds like what others, and you, have said was idler pulley failing noise.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ght-11562.html
Old 08-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #3

Braking and turning = no effect. Sounds to me bearings should be ok. You‘d have a difference between right and left turn when pressure is on/ off the bearings.

Engine mounts check?
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #4

Here you go, https://www.amazon.com/PLAYOCCAR-Ele...-3-spons&psc=1
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post

Interesting. It might come to that.

I figure it's nothing on the engine as I killed the motor and it still produced the sound which was somewhat of a relief. I swear it sounds like washers in my front tire(s). I plan to jack up the front end, put the rear axle in neutral, engage the front and let the front tires spin. I will look over the motor mounts but it just sounds like washers rattling on a bolt not any kind of clunking noise

Old 08-28-2022, 04:47 AM   #6

Garage
Does the noise stop when you reach lower speeds - in the neighborhood of anything under 20 or 30mph?
Old 08-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #7

“I noticed it after the shop rotated my tires” I hate to ask, but have you checked your lug nuts?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Yes AT, my mechanic lifted the tires and checked for any issues, torqued everything but never dismounted them. That will be next.

TwoXentrix I basically don't hear anything until I decelerate from about 35mph. If I accelerate when the noise starts, it seems to quit...come off the throttle or stay at a constant speed around 20mph I can hear it.

The noise doesn't change depending on the surface road. You'd think if I were to hit washboard it would make a similar sound but nope. I can't say if the cupped tires are causing something to rattle depending on the frequency or if it' related to something spinning. I'm more incline to think it's the tire buzz because it started after the rotation. When I stopped the motor and coasted, it was on a smooth road and the noise didn't change. Gonna look over the bumper again and I haven't checked the winch mounts yet.

So, yesterday some lady T-boned me and probably totaled my pickup. Friggin wonderful. I just have so much on my plate right now I sure don't need the van to fail me. I'm digging out the go-pro camera. If I can get a video or sound clip I'll post it.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Team

How are the driveshaft u-joints? If your problem is only on deceleration, that makes me wonder about the driveshafts.

Herb

[EDIT: it is strange that the noise appears to be from the front end only, assuming you're not in 4wd, so it shouldn't be the front driveshaft.]
Old 08-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #10

Garage
I had a rear u-joint go bad about two years ago - Never made a noise when i was driving forward other than around 20-30mph (for just a couple seconds), but when I put the van in reverse, it made a heck of a racket - Sounded like my transmission or transfer case had something coming apart inside...similar to what you've described.
My shop diagnosed it quickly. I questioned why it made no noise going forward other than at that particular speed, and they pretty much said they've seen many make odd sounds as they degrade (They also do Fleet Service on Ford Vans & trucks so they have quite a bit of experience). Might consider checking these.