Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Fuel pump access hatch-good idea?

I recall reading long ago about it being a lot of trouble to replace a fuel pump in a 1995 E250. Someone had placed an access hatch in the interior. I guess they just (carefully) cut a hole in the interior floor.

I will be replacing my interior floor soon. Is this worth doing? As far as I know, the fuel pump is original (110,000 miles).

If it is a good idea, any idea how to locate the right spot from above and how best to make the cut?

Thanks

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: Fuel pump access hatch-good idea?

I wouldn't, the fuel tank can be dropped in less than 30 minutes.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Re: Fuel pump access hatch-good idea?

after losing a fuel pump on a trip to the desert and fixing after riding my dual sport to san diego to get new pump i failed to realize how heavy a half full tank is when you undo it.(1990 ford van) lucky it dropped and stretched the wires and did not ruin connectors.
so when i bought my last van which we still have (2006 ford baby pop up posted under home built) i made a access door in the floor over the spot where the fuel pump is,used a cut off wheel on a grinder to cut out,took a piece of sheet metal screwed it on four corners after using putty around edges to seal.
as i was using 1/2 plywood i then cut matching square and left it in place.as i was using vinyl flooring
i just installed as normal.i was going to trim out with metal edging but decided that if i ever needed to access fuel pump i could just slit the vinyl then trim out as needed.
now that i have the knowledge that i can access the fuel pump in the field i probably will never have to!
easy mod no cost.piece of mind!
drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers
lqhikers is offline   Reply With Quote