Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #1

Fuel Pump Questions

I'm getting ready to drop my tank (Gas Engine, 5.4) to install my Webasto heater, and it seems to make sense to preventatively replace the fuel pump.

My problem is that I'd like to put in a 3 port pump to make the Webasto install easier. But the Ford Parts guys tell me that the 3 inlet pumps available aren't compatible with my particular vehicle (based on the VIN.) I did get the part number (3C2Z9H307BA) for the no-longer-available pump, and the google tells me that the only compatible one out there (that I can find) is this airtex one:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=882154&jsn=11

So, my questions are:
Is the Airtex pump any good? My research suggests maybe not so much...

Are the Ford guys just covering their asses, and a different 3 port pump would work?

Should I just get a 2 port motorcraft (3C2Z9H307CB) and drill a hole?

And...is cleaning/flushing the tank standard practice when replacing the fuel pump?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

I'd go ahead and get the 3-pump. The aux fuel port was only available with the RV prep package, or the V10, or as cutaways. So that's why there's weirdness when you order by VIN.

Just search your year using the expansion menus and you should see a bunch of 3-port options. I prefer sticking to Motorcraft or Delphi or Denso. I would agree with your assessment of Airtex....
Old 02-21-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'll second the feelings about Airtex fuel pumps---frankly anything sold more to a price point will have quality differences that I don't find acceptable when dealing with the importance of that device.

If you can find the Motorcraft part number they're somewhat easily found through eBay etc for far better prices than a dealership would offer. In fact when my own '03 I had no choice but to order from the dealer (time issues) and paid just over $400---eBay had the same part for just under $300.

Re: 3 port vs 2 port IIRC my 2000 E250 with 5.4 gasser had an option for the three port version. That van does have the 2 port version.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

So...
I tried to order a 3 port Delphi pump from RockAuto, and I got this...

"We cannot ship to this address because it requires sales tax paid separately to state and city governments. We comply with state-administered taxes nationwide but we do not have the capacity to file city tax returns in places where we have no physical presence."

Looks like I can get the same pump from Napa, but it's $210 vs $140 from RA.
Anyone else deal with this?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

I found it on Amazon and Walmart.com for $150.

I've been reading a lot about fake parts on Amazon, but Walmart should be good, right?
Old 02-26-2020, 04:56 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg View Post
I found it on Amazon and Walmart.com for $150.

I've been reading a lot about fake parts on Amazon, but Walmart should be good, right?
No that's not across-the-board correct---anyone selling anything online is subject to delivering fake or counterfeit parts. In fact I dare say walmart would be far, far more prone to taking short cuts in the name of their own profits than Amazon, not that I'm a huge fan of that site either.

RockAuto isn't the best choice either as their customer service has gone to crap over the past few years.

Find the correct Motorcraft part number and search across the internet for the best price. I use eBay quite a bit and in about 99.99999% of the time I've received exactly what I was seeking and paid for--authentic MC parts.

If the Ford parts guys are saying the 3 port pumps aren't compatible they're going 100% by the build sheets published for that VIN. That only means that pump wasn't used on that vehicle therefore they contend its not a direct swap. They have no way knowing how compatible it would be in a setting such as you're contemplating.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #7

So, distrusting Amazon and Walmart, the cheapest I found it was actually Home Depot. Go figure. I really hope the Amazon and Walmart ones were bunk, because they were over $100 cheaper. I guess it's worth it for piece of mind.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #8

I just did mine in my 1996.. It lasted for 22 years.. Buy a OEM unit it will last you. ! Make all your Connections new and Clean and move on.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote