Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

fuel sending unit

Hi All
I have a 2003 e350 w 7.3, My fuel gauge is stuck on full. I ran some tests and it seems my fuel sending unit might be bad. I need to pull the tank to check. I want to have a replacement ready so I don't have to do this twice. I see the gas versions are like $60 but for diesel its $300. It's just measuring the fuel level of the exact same tank in either diesel or gas. Is this just a FU rip of since its diesel? Any one have any experience with this? Any advice?

thanks

surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

Oh man...have you come to the right place!

We've put a number of aft-of-axle tanks into Eseries vans and with that experience comes the joys of having to sometimes make things work ourselves rather than buying an off the shelf part. I've had to customize a few sending units and change out fuel level sensors.

I can say with 100% certainty that the diesel sending units are not special and the fuel tank level sensor is absolutely identical to the gas version. You don't even need to replace your whole unit, just replace the bolt-on fuel level sender and you're done. you can find the sensor by itself way cheaper than the whole unit.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

is this what your talking about ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pu...-/360767895858
Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Yes.

Sometimes the float is hollow and it just develops a hole in it and fills with fuel. the level sensor is just a variable resistance slide. super simple.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #5

To sort of hijack. The fuel gauge in my '01 7.3 never gets to full. Usually only a hair above 3/4, and then it jumps around. The tank has a slight dent in it. I've only ever burned through 24 gallons. I also just learned what a scangauge is: is it worth bothering with the sending unit? or naw?
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #6

Are you getting a full 35 gallons into your tank? My tank has a venting issue and the last five gallons have to be trickled in.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Are you getting a full 35 gallons into your tank? My tank has a venting issue and the last five gallons have to be trickled in.
I have no idea. When I first filled it up, I saw it wasn't full and tried filling it again and the pump immediately shut off after 2/10 of a gallon. I will try that.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #8

On mine I literally have to drip the last five in. Best test is run it empty then fill so you can see how much gas is going in. Some of these tanks are known for venting issues. That's why the last few gallons are a bitch to fill
Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #9

Garage
My 96 7.3l fills all the way up with no issues and my guage goes past the full line. I would be weary of running a diesel completely empty, they don't like that too much and can be a pain to get started up again.... Don't ask me how I know.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #10

Good news. After pulling the tank and removing the sender I found one of the wires on the resistor broke off. A quick solder job fixed that. Saved $300. Also opened up the holes in the vent valves a little bit and it seems to help some with the venting problem. Not a perfect fix but I only made the holes big enough so the stopper still works if we ever flip over.